How can I get my 4-year-old to sleep in her own bed?

I have never ran into this issue before. We recently moved to a new home and I can't convince my daughter to go to sleep in her own bed. Nothing has helped. Even if I wait till she falls asleep and move her to her bed, she ends up back on the couch or in my bed and it is driving me crazy. I have tried to get to the bottom of her fears of sleeping in her room. It started out as there were monsters in the room, so we went monster hunting with a flashlight and didn't find anything... then it was that there were ghosts in her room... we sent the dog to chase them out of the room... now it is the clothes in the closet will attack her (I have no idea where that one came from). She has an open closet, so its not like I can close the door... there isn't anywhere else in the house to put her clothes... I am running out of ideas and this has gone on for a week now. I just don't know what to do.

justduckie_mom

Asked by justduckie_mom at 1:51 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Try doing a camping out in her room...stay in there with her one night to show her everything is ok...then see if she will stay in there the next night...and if she has fun with that then tell her if she stays in her beed for a whole week then you guys can do a campout again...and keep adding a day or 2 untill the next campout. Thats what my mom and dad had to do with me and my sister =) Good luck!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:55 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I agree w/ Shelii,, I would lay on the floor next to her bed until she fell asleep. Have a night light in there and leave the door open. Rewarding her is a great idea!!
    Mrs_Doll

Answer by Mrs_Doll at 1:58 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• my son is 10 and I'm still having the same problems. He does not come into my room anymore, but he's on the couch in the mornings. He does fall asleep in his room but just about every morning, he's in the living room. Which is closer to my bedroom. The counselor says it was from his dad leaving, he's was afraid that I'd leave, too. BUT that was like five years ago. And he hasn't even seen his father in almost two years. This year, I finnaly told him. He can't play football if he can't even sleep in his own room - but like I said, he's still in the living room a lot BUT it's not in my room! Good Luck I tried everything in the past, baby monior, bells accross his doorway, putting a stick in the window (so it couldn't be opened) one of the noise machines, new bedding, new pillow, ect..
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 2:30 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• well first of you can make a curtain to go over her closet then put her bed in your room for a couple nights to at least get her back in her bed then put her back in her room and just be stern and dont give in and mayb try a stuft animal or blankie or sumthing and give her time to get use to new house but put your foot down and stick to it while still being understanding of her fears
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 3:27 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Let me know when you find an answer to this one, I'm still struggling with my 5 almost 6 yr old!! LOL!!
    2boyz2pray4

Answer by 2boyz2pray4 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 9, 2011