Pumping

Hi everyone~

My little girl is 8 week sold. I am getting ready to go back to work in a couple of weeks. I started pumping a couple of weeks ago trying to get ready. I am not getting enough and haven't been able to find any great advice, so I thought I would ask the experts.

I have been drinking Mothers Milk tea and pumping every night at 11pm for at least an hour. My little girl is still nursing throughout the day. When I pump, I am only getting about an ounce. I read a little about eating oatmeal and I probably need to drink more water. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

jcsscfam5

Asked by jcsscfam5 at 2:32 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would suggest pumping a few times a day an hour after feeding. It will increase your milk supply better than just pumping once a day. It is more work but you need to add in more pumping to increase the supply.

And drinking a lot of water helps as well. Also, make sure you eat something every 3-4 hours to help.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 2:43 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• blessed thistle and fenugreek, Deff pump for fifteen minutes after feeding your daughter, if you want to increase it quickly do it after every feeding. your milk comes in more in the morning. I was reading something and now i think of it every time i pump.

They say if you think of it when your breasts are full your body will stop producing milk, if you keep emptying them thats more your body will produce.

If that doesnt work you can talk to your doctor and they can prescribe something to help you

Goodluck
    Bratch1707

Answer by Bratch1707 at 3:02 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I would try massages too. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:24 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• An ounce per session is normal output. Remember, once you go to work, you will be pumping at MISSED feedings, which means you might be able to yield a bit more then when you pump without missing a feeding. Remember that baby needs 1 to 1.25 oz per hour of separation. I would store milk in 2-3 oz portions, and have it offered every 2-3 hrs. Baby may or may not finish the bottle, and that's fine. Baby may also hold out for mama to come home and make up for it then (only taking a small amount from caregiver, enough to not be starving, and then wait for you to get home to nurse). How long will you be apart? What pump are you using? How often will you be able to pump at work?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:34 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• All great advice! But just remember to, don't go crazy with drinking water it can work just the opposite. I have always been told drink to thirst, and that was also by a lactation consultant :) Oatmeal is good. Our DD is 3 mo and I pump 3x/day at work I get 10oz total, and nurse before work, after, and overnight if she wakes. We still have to supplement one forumla bottle of 5oz during the day b/c I don't pump enough. Just be consistent and yet the oatmeal has helped me and I also drink the mother's milk tea, 4-6 cups/day and fenugreek 3 pills 3x a day. My pumping prob I think is b/c I don't pump until I'm completely "drained" so to speak at work. I pump 3x for 20 min. so if you're able to pump until it stops coming out then maybe up to 5 min longer it will get better :) GL
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 9:26 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Thanks everyone! I am not as worried now.

Krysta622~ We will be apart 10 hours tops per day. Hopefully closer to 9. Before I had her, I worked 50 hours a week at least. Planning on cutting back a lot. I should be able to pump at least 3x's at work. I am using Avent handheld. I had pretty good luck with my first. But I didn't need to pump much with her. I took a year off after I had her. Thank you for your help!
    jcsscfam5

Comment by jcsscfam5 (original poster) at 1:27 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• One more thing. Pump in the AM. Night pumping is usually a waste of mom's time. An ounce at 11 is a MIRACLE amount.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:00 AM on Apr. 10, 2011