Is there a division between moms who have a home birth and moms who give birth in a hospital?

Other than the obvious, it seems like if you don't go all natural at home you can't be a member of the club or have any association with anyone who is. I don't care if you give birth at home, but don't ridicule me for doing it at the hospital. That is my choice. I don't make it for anyone else's benefit but mine and my baby's.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Some people will argue about anything on cm . This topic , like breatfeeding and circumcision, . I have never encountered as a divisive issue in ' real life ' , only on cm. It is a matter of personal choice and not a topic for ridicule or condemnation.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 3:17 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• there are divisions between more groups than I every thought possible.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:59 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I do think that.  I had a horrible hospital birth so I switched to a birthing center for the rest of my children.  Well, that birthing center shut down and I'm ready to delivery at any time.  I looked up midwives who would come to the house but what I found was disappointing.  I'm not "all natural".  I want my children vaccinated and their dad has chosen to have the boys circumcised.  When I tried to find out if this particular group of midwives would help me, I found instead they told me a million things wrong with both.  I sadly found that I don't fit in with either hospital birthing OR home birthing "groups".  That's okay though, to each their own.  I agree, this is a choice I made for myself and my baby, not anyone else.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 8:14 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I think people do what is best for them and some people think their way is the only way or the best way. I don't think there is a division (in real life at least) I think it's more of people who make the same choices looking for others to relate too.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 8:59 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I had a hell of a time in hospital with my first, and was subject to medical abuse- I refused to allow that to happen again. Unfortunately, the simple reality is that most women have been brainwashed into believing that a hospital is somehow safer (which it isn't- but no amount of statistics, reports, or otherwise credible information will satisfy them). Those women, who allow the medical community to do with their bodies and babies as they please, make birth a very dangerous proposition for those of us who accept the reality and truth of birth being a natural biological process which does not routinely require any intervention.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:04 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I don't personally know anyone who has had a home birth, so I'm not sure if there's a division or not. If someone didn't like me because I didn't have one, screw 'em. Was I supposed to have an at-home c-section, lol?
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:44 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Who cares really? I don't make it a point to judge people on how they do things, whether it's the car they bought, or how they choose to have their babies... Again who cares....?
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:56 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• its b/c some ppl will never be happy unless EVERYONE in the whole world agrees with their personal choices 100%...cause obviously they must be the only right option out there! and that goes for every side of pretty much every argument ive seen on CM.

just b/c someone had a horrible experience at a hospital doesnt negate that i had a wonderful experience anymore than my wonderful experience negates someone else's horrible experience. its all about personal choices & doing whats right for that person. i could never have a home birth as i have anxiety problems, thats whats best for me, but a lot of women out there want the home birth experience & i say more power to them!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:03 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I planned to have a waterbirth in a birth center, but wound up with an emergency cesarean at 27 weeks. Are there dubiously ethical procedures that happen in hospitals? Certainly. But it depends on the hospital, the attending, the region, and the mother. Do I think that I am for some reason superior for preferring out-of-hospital birth? Hardly. Parenting is so much beyond birth, it's not worth nitpicking over that. As a student midwife, I have definitely had discussions with friends who asked me about hospital vs. other types of birth, but I don't want to push people. A woman should do what SHE feels safest and most comfortable with. Pushing her to do otherwise is, mentally, just as bad as making her have an unnecessary cesarean for trivial reasons.
    However, I'm definitely sorry that anyone has treated you like that. No one should be shamed by others for their birth choices. You did what YOU felt was best. *hugs*
    CPCrane

Answer by CPCrane at 11:12 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• i don't know about having a home birth, reason being, I would wonder if everything was clean enough. Heck, just cleaning the toys, dishes and house works keeps me busy, so to clean and make sure everything was sterile, would be hard since I already have 3 children. I'm not pregnant...so it doesn't really matter. Also, I kind of like the break for that 2 days I am in the hospital...and don't have to cook or worry about anything but me and my baby.

ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 9, 2011