Can you have a clean argument or do you always result to name-calling?

I just see alot of people on here reduce themselves to child-like behavior and I sometimes wonder if anyone here is mature enough to have a decent argument without calling the other person names.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in About CafeMom

• I don't like name calling, even when my boyfriend and I get into an argument I try to refrain from name calling even if I think he is acting like an asshole because I wouldn't like it if he called me a name back.
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 2:46 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Ha. I just called someone bitchy, but it was nothing short of the truth.

Generally speaking, I don't resort to namecalling. Clearly, I have my moments, though. I make no apologies for it, and I am mature enough to carry on debate.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 2:51 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Yeah> If someone starts some static I don't see any reason not to give them a dose. So It all depends.
    CHarlan

Answer by CHarlan at 2:57 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I hardly ever get angry enough to call someone a name. I'm not going to lie though, I have before when I was really, really mad.
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 2:59 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I've discussed and debated topics that are "hot button" issues without calling names. I even do it sometimes here :-)

Though generally speaking, I don't discuss those sorts of issues here very often, because in "real life" when I do it, I can control who I have the conversation with and only talk about it with people who, while they might not agree with me, are mature enough to have a grownup (no name calling) conversation, and they tend to be people that I care about (and value their opinion, even when it differs from mine). You can't do that here - so even if you're having a nice discussion or debate, there's nothing from stopping others from getting nasty with each other in the middle of it, so...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:08 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• A very good point. Personal insults have no place in this forum but unfortunately they abound .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 3:11 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Oops I want to clarify that I've never called someone anything bad on here, but in real life I have :(
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 3:13 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Sorry, but in real life we pretty much HAVE to bite out tongues and be all politically correct, when you know most people would LOVE the opportunity to let the fur fly!! Now, in the majority of subjects/topics there is no need for personal insults, HOWEVER, political issues are more often than not tied to our emotions, and when people are losing everything they have, it's not fair to tell them, they must also be cordial, ONLINE!! The main reason I come on here to discuss politics is because I CAN'T discuss them HONESTLY and freely at work (I'm a teacher!), and I need to be able to vent.

When GROWN women come on here saying incredibly naive, incorrect, or uneducated things, I feel it's necessary to correct them, and if THEY get an attitude, you can bet I will give as good as I get in return!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:53 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I disagree with people on this forum frequently. I have yet to call anyone a name. I see many people who are the same way. So, yes, there are many people mature enough not to call others names.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:58 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I don't resort to name calling, and try not to make it personal. I agree the are pretty widespread in this section. People seem to attack people personally instead of talking about the issues. Not everyone in this section does it or does it regularly though. There's enough of it that sometimes I ignore questions over here when I'm not in the mood for them, and there are other times I think there are a few good discussions here and find it fun to answer. Just depends on the day.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:13 AM on Apr. 9, 2011