Another language question

If the British don't have a problem with the French coming over and speaking French and the Irish coming over and speaking Gayleck, than why do we have a problem with people speaking Spanish? Is it because of the language or the people who speak it? Just curious.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 3:13 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Whats irritating is the constant misconception is that the Irish speaks "Gaelic" not Gayleck. The Irish speak well Irish. English is actually their 2nd language. Gaelic is actually a Scottish language where gaelic 1st originated from. But yes I understand what u r saying. But I am with Raccoon. Some mexicans come over here and get violent, think they deserve something, gets pissed when they speak spanish ands we do not understand. I am sorry, u r in america, speak english. But out of all the immigrant here, it seems like the Mexicans can be the mst violent here and in their own country. Saw in the news today, officals found another mass grave of people where the body count is up to 72 so far.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:38 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• All I can say is that knowledge of another language is a key to the door of another culture . Not that I speak from experience , I do speak French which helps hen I am in France or Quebec but not well enough to immerse myself in the language . But i do believe a knowlege of other languages is a real asset.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 3:43 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Did u all know, we are just about the only country to have several different languages on the directions u find on stuff like kotex or an entertainment center? We could save thousands of trees by only writing in english, but then again that would probabky put another poor sucker on the unemployment line if we did that.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:43 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Charlan- ..Wow those are some really hateful things to say about whole groups of people, lets hope you're just bored and talking shit for the hell of it.
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 4:16 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Everybody here is a desendant of an immigrant that is how America came to be, unless u have a direct linage to a Native American. I am Irish or more correctly I am a desendant of an Irish immigrant. My Great Grandfather came to America from Limerick Ireland back in 1920.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 4:32 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Whio would have thought we get an good conversation going at 4:30am EST?? No need for name calling or cat scratching and such. Besides wasn't that all taken care of in the "Mean Anon" posts??
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 4:34 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• To bring this mess back on topic: I don't have a problem with people coming here and speaking Spanish- I have a problem with people getting mad because I DON'T speak Spanish. To move to another country and expect everyone there to speak YOUR native language seems arrogant to me. I wouldn't move to France and then yell at people who spoke French to me!
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 6:54 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• THE BRITISH ARE COMING! Boston Tea Party. Paul Revere. They ruled us for quite some time......A nation of immigrants we are. We took the Indians land (we never learned their language either.) It seem we would be more cultured considering we are a nation of immigrants, but we made our country and called it America. We have our language as every other nation. Should we change our national language now? Spanish is taught in every school because of the influx of Spanish speaking immigrants. Is that not good enough? OR do we ALL have to be Hooked on Phonics to please you?
    CHarlan

Answer by CHarlan at 3:37 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Back when everyone was immigrating to America through Ellis Island the immigrants were told to LEARN English, Speak English if you want to stay here and get a job. And until very recently the American Citizen test and driving test were ONLY in English. Our official language is English. The Canadians DONT try and force French on us and are eveyr bit our neighbors like Mexico. MOST countrys in the world speak English in order to do business with America. NONE of them force the US to learn their tongue's, but the Mexicans want to force us to change? They are the only ones who are refusing to learn English.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:10 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Because for the simple fact that the British or Irish aren't having to learn a foreign language to get a job in their own country. That is the only problem I have with it. I dont care what they speak at home, but I had to learn english so so should they.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 3:44 PM on Apr. 9, 2011