We're 5th cousins.....and before we found out we wanted to take it to the next level,..

but now that he found out yesterday and told me, he said he could not do it. I feel kind of broken, because I really like him. But after he told me, he went right back to calling me baby, saying he misses me whenever I'm not there and so forth

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:22 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Relationships

• 5th cousins by law is fine, but how do you feel, or your family. What if you had kids theres a lot to think about. Theres enough of a bloodline difference but your still family.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 6:41 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• i think you both have to be okay with it for it to work. If you have concerns about kids and that sort of thing you could always talk to a doctor to see if there are side effects because of the blood line. If it were me I would talk with him and maybe sit down with a counselor.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:04 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• It is so far removed I would say it would be fine.
    homeschoolin432

Answer by homeschoolin432 at 7:28 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• This would mean that you have a common great-great-great-great-grandparent. This is a pretty distant relationship. There have been several other marriages and genetics introduced that you are pretty much not related. What exactly is his problem with it? Is it genetics? If that is it, then you really wouldn't have to worry, but you could have him talk to s counselor about it to make him feel better.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:39 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• We're all related in some way. How did you even find out you were related? Just curious. 5th cousins seems pretty far apart. I'm not saying I wouldn't be weirded out by that situation myself, but I guess it all depends on how you both feel about it.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:49 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I really don't see it as a problem, like first and second cousins, yes I see a problem because you grew up together but 5th cousins. Where I come from, if you lived there all your life, you are probably at least 5th cousins with 90% of the other people there.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 9:11 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• You can google an answer to that. But 5th cousins are very far removed so I think you are both fine.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:32 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• 5th cousins is far enough away that it should be fine.
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 9:49 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• If you both want to get serious & have children together, you could make an appointment through an OBGYN with a Genetic Counselor. They will tell you if there could be a problem with having children which I doubt. I'm sure it happens more often then you think & people never even know. How did you find out?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:50 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• True story, my SIL & her DH are 5th cousins. They have 5 kids, and everyone is happy. They never had issues being related, their kids are all happy, healthy, and smart.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Apr. 9, 2011