Why not focus on the percentage of abortions Planned Parenthood PREVENTS?

83 percent of their clients receive services to prevent unintended pregnancy compared to the three percent that receive abortions. Take away funding and those women who PP helped with birth control will now be seeking abortions. Do you not care about the abortions themselves- just the fact that your tax dollars are paying for them?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:44 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• And, I might add, if they were so effective with the pregnancy prevention lectures and pamphlets, then there wouldn't be such a massive need for WIC, Welfare, and going after "baby daddies" for child support!!

--

Or...if it weren't for them and other places like them, maybe the numbers would be even higher. All the statistics I've seen show that abortions are a very small percentage of their services. I am pro-choice, but would like to see LESS abortions as well--by educating women about their choices and making sure all women can take responsibility for their reproductive health even if they can't afford to pay full price. I think PP serves people in many ways besides abortions, and I don't want to take away other women's rights to choose whatever my personal views are about it. Education and prevention are what we can do to help reduce abortions, and we need to make sure women can get them safely if they still choose too.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:51 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Seriously! I agree with you.
    CollegeMommy121

Answer by CollegeMommy121 at 7:48 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Pam, I don't think most anti-PP people even know that federal funding doesn't go towards the abortions- they hear the words tax money and abortion in the same sentence and all sense goes right out the window. Instead of doing research on the truth, they instead believe the lies and propaganda because it validates and justifies their own views.

--

I think you're right about that, based on what I hear people say about it! They don't know much about it and don't bother to look where the money actually goes or where it can go based on the law, and they just vote based on their emotions and fear.

Ok...I expected I might get a down vote even though I just think some people are that way (NOT all), but older got a down vote for just saying she agrees. People waste their down votes on crazy stuff sometimes. LOL
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:33 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I agree also!

Answer by older at 7:50 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• A breast exam is not a cancer screening. a MAMMOGRAM is. And poor women get them free or at little cost in October every year at their local hospitals. Medicaid is available to those who qualify and can go to a regular Gyn's office for BC and cervical cancer screenings, and for those not on Medicaid and do qualify you can get a pap smear done for free once a year with the plan Grly noted last night.
    Read a little bit ladies............educate yourselves.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:04 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Planned Parenthood is not the GOVERNMENT funded place to get BC. People act they are the only place to get cheap B/C that is not 100% fool proof.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:09 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Pam, I don't think most anti-PP people even know that federal funding doesn't go towards the abortions-

That is wholly incorrect. More accurate - most people who champion PP don't have any idea what other agencies already offer identical non-abortion relates services whether PP exists or not.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Planned Parenthood’s income break-down for 2006-2007 fiscal year
    PP clinic income: $356.9 million
    PP Government grants and contracts: $336.7 million
    Total profit: $114.8 million
    Total income: $1.02 billion
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:23 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• It also leaves more women and girls at the mercy of butchers with rusted coat hangers in back alleys--when the unwanted pregnancy could have been prevented by the care those women could have received at a PP.

***
    There are OTHER ways that unwanted pregnancy could have been prevented!! And WHY is it death to the fetus seemingly the only viable option for unwanted pregnancies?! The whole rationale makes me ill.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:07 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• For those who are faced with an unwanted pregnancy, many are desperate and will do anything to make it go away. Without the care of a clinic, they will go to desperate lengths, including self-injury or back-alley-type abortions--even if it's not what you want or what seems rational to you. That's the reality women have faced forever.

The clinic, as proven can survive without federal funding just fine.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:34 AM on Apr. 9, 2011