Food Stamps..Medicaid..ect.

I have posted a few comments to others questions and concerns regarding government assistance. BASICALLY..Unless you have been in that situation when you had to lower your head and walk yourself into the county office to beg for some help due to hard times and financial difficulties, then YOU HAVE NO right to judge others. It looks like if you have a an ounce of intelligence, then you would know that the economy is totally spinning out of control and people are losing there jobs and businesses are not hiring.I have been unemployed for 3 months and am currently fighting the Dept. of Labor to get unemployment benefits. Sorry but I feel like I need some assistance..Yes, I have a 20K SUV and some nice jewlery..Am I suppose to go sell my only form of transportation, and go pawn my things ?? My situation is temporary and I have worked since I was 15 and have paid taxes with every check. Do I not deserve help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• My theory is this, you have paid taxes.............therefore you have the right to the assistance. PERIOD. I'm on public aid, and rarely do I get the judgemental glares. But when I do, my answer is: I paid taxes, and I have the right to get assistance when I need it.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 8:48 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• You do deserve help. I always wonder why some people need to make things more difficult.. Good Luck.
    sweetsmo

Answer by sweetsmo at 8:51 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Don't even let what people say bother you because they DON'T know. Everyone deserves it when needed.

Anonymous

• I think that if you are actively looking for a job, that public assistance is ok until you find a job. If you don't want to be judged, why bother even posting this question?
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 8:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I posted so maybe ..JUST MAYBE..people may think a little differently the next time they are behind that "person" at the grocery store.
    Anonymous

• if you don't have a problem using food stamps, then who cares what people think. Maybe it is just guilty consciences, deep down people know they could be doing better for themselves.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 9:08 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• If you paid taxes, its your money anyway.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 9:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

Not really, taxes pay for our infrastructure.  Roads, bridges, gov. employees, school systems, books for our children, police officers to keep us safe, etc.  If you feel entitled to this money, that is the wrong way to look at this picture. 

thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 9:15 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Today I went to Target and I had my son with me. My son is black and I am white. I did not have my wedding rings on, I was wearing some old sweats, my hair is less than flattering today, and my skin is a little blotchy lately due to change in temperature. I didn't look put together to say the least. My toddler was going in and out of my legs and a little antsy. Nothing bad, not yelling, not doing anything horrible to anyone. Just crawling in, out, and around me. I find it ironic we have talking about this for the past few days because someone made a comment that she bet I was on food stamps. I'm not. But why the assumption? She said it loud enough for me to hear but not loud enough that I was suppposed to answer type of thing. So I just proudly said, yes I am why do you ask? She said she could just tell. First, I am not (but either way it would be my business).
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• cont..The way she looked at my child and then me I could just feel the red hot death rays. Second, I most likely had more education than her considering I'm planning on doing my Ph.d program next year. But that would of course be an assumption on my part. Although statistically only 17% of the population at any given time is a college graduate. So chances are good that I was. Particularly for the area I live in. But what gave her the right to say that? I just slid my debit card in and then picked up some candy (which I don't eat and neither does my 2 year old) and added them to our cart.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:20 PM on Nov. 30, 2008