The Cherry Blossom parade almost was cancelled......oh no

I just read that if the govt had shut down the parade wouldln't take place. I'm sorry that irritated me.....soooooooo what if there is no parade????? OUR TROOPS WOULD BE WITHOUT PAY!!!! i get that there has to be MORE security because it is in DC AND that people plan vacations just to see this but REALLY??????

brypmom

Asked by brypmom at 8:06 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I know right. I used to live in that area and alot of people went to it, but I never did myself.

Answer by gemgem at 8:10 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• just goes to show how screwed up our government is...they don't have their priorities straight.

ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 8:17 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• they're hoping that if everything 'looks' normal, no one will notice they can't figure out how to fix things, and we'll quit bitching about them not getting paid, too!
    ''WE CAN'T STOP THE PARADE!!!! everyone will know something is up!!" says anyone of those elected officials.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:21 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• The article didn't say WHY the parade was slated to be cancelled. I am assuming security only.....or is the parade subsidized with govt money????? If thats the case WOW....
    brypmom

Comment by brypmom (original poster) at 8:23 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I dont know how it is funded, they do have sponsors but it would bring them close to wear congress & senate would be meeting and I am guessing that is why it might have needed to be cancelled if they were still working it would be a security issue. There would be alot of angry people out there who might blend with parade goers and could pose a threat to them? The thing is alot of locals go and take their kids to it, and its a yearly thing. I dont see them being overly upset at it being cancelled though.

Answer by gemgem at 8:35 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• It was likely almost canceled when Obama finally came to the realization that those weren't MONEY TREES lining Pennsylvania avenue, but run of the mill cherry blossom trees!! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:19 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I agree about the troops but, Cherry Blossoms mean DC's official kickoff to spring and the all-important tourist season. Cherry blossom related events alone bring in $127 million dollars.

Read more: http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/money/cherry-blossom-parade-tourism-threatened-by-shutdown-040711##ixzz1J85ZiQzY
    emilysmom1966

Answer by emilysmom1966 at 10:13 AM on Apr. 10, 2011