Will you be giving the 3rd party Candiates a chance in the next Presidential election?

I just don't understand why Americans love the two-party system so much. All they do is bitch about the Candidates and how they have to pick 'the lesser of two evils'. How about you stop the bitching and make some REAL change by getting a 3rd party candidate into office for once? Who knows... it might be just what the US needs to once again be the strong, great Country we used to be.

What are your reasons for ignoring 3rd party candidates and continuing to let the Dems and Repubs ruin us?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:07 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I'd vote for an independent under a few conditions. If the candidate represented my values more than any other candidate, I'd consider him or her--if that candidate also was gathering enough support to be a viable candidate. In that effort, I'd do my part to help get that candidate's name and message out there and offer my support long before Election Day.

I wouldn't discount a third party, and I think the time is coming that a third party will be a real option. Unfortunately, there are too many attitudes like those we've seen who believe that their vote is enough to make a difference for one of the two-party candidates, but not enough to make a difference for a third.

A third-party candidate would have to have a strong and clear message, a good starting base, and a source for funding a campaign, I'd think, before he our she could have a chance to run a strong campaign.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:57 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I'm technically an independent, but of the two major parties I match up better with Democrats. Because I'm independent, I would seriously consider a third party candidate, as well as whoever the Democrats and Republicans (though I've never voted Republican--at least not in a national or state election). So, it's likely that I would vote for a Dem or an Independent depending on the candidates. I would give a Republican fair consideration as well, but it's not likely I would vote for anyone in the same party as the ultra-conservative religious right because they'd be likely to cater to them--and I do not agree with them. If they went off and formed their own party and all that was left were moderate Republicans, I'd be more likely to seriously consider them. I would love to get another viable party or get rid of our two party system, but I do think too many people are afraid to do that (splitting the votes as the pp pointed out)
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:25 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• LOL...over 6000 people vote for 'None of These Candidates'

***
    Funny, in a really sad way, huh?! :o) To think people stood in long lines just to "protest" in an incredibly insignificant way. LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:15 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• None of These Candidates (Nevada) 6,267 0.00%

--

LOL...over 6000 people vote for 'None of These Candidates'
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:11 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I agree with gemgem. Bring on the downvotes.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:37 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Not unless it was someone I REALLY respected, and thought could do a good job. Otherwise, I'll stick to the GOP.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 9:58 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• That is your opinion and being down voted for my opinion being different is silly. Until we actually have a 3rd party that is viable you are throwing away your vote. They have to be able to work between election to become a strong party, other their candidate is just someone asking for someone to toss someones vote away. That is how it works. It is how is always has worked.

Answer by gemgem at 8:20 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• 2008 PRESIDENTIAL POPULAR VOTE SUMMARY
    FOR ALL CANDIDATES LISTED ON AT LEAST ONE STATE BALLOT

Barack Obama (Democrat) 69,498,516 52.93%
    John McCain (Republican) 59,948,323 45.65%
    Ralph Nader (Independent, Peace and Freedom) 739,034 0.56%
    Bob Barr (Libertarian) 523,715 0.40%
    Chuck Baldwin (Constitution/Reform/U.S. Taxpayers) 199,750 0.15%
    Cynthia McKinney (Green, Independent, Mountain) 161,797 0.12%
    Write-In (Miscellaneous) 112,597 0.09%
    Alan Keyes (America’s Independent) 47,746 0.04%
    Ron Paul (Constitution, Louisiana Taxpayers) 42,426 0.03%
    Gloria La Riva (Socialism and Liberation) 6,818 0.01%
    Brian Moore (Liberty Union, Socialist) 6,538 0.00%
    None of These Candidates (Nevada) 6,267 0.00%
    Róger Calero (Socialist Workers) 5,151 0.00%
    Richard Duncan (Independent) 3,905 0.00%
    James Harris (Socialist Workers) 2,424 0.00%
    Charles Jay (Boston Tea Party/Independent) 2,422 0.00%
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:05 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• John Joseph Polachek (New) 1,149
    Frank Edward McEnulty (Unaffiliated) 829
    Jeffrey J. Wamboldt (Independent) 764
    Thomas Robert Stevens (Objectivist) 755
    Gene C. Amondson (Prohibition) 653
    Jeffrey “Jeff” Boss (Vote Here) 639
    George Phillies (Libertarian) 531
    Ted Weill (Reform) 481
    Jonathan E. Allen (Heartquake ’08) 480
    Bradford Lyttle (U.S. Pacifist) 110

Total: 131,313,820

U.S. Census Bureau Voting Age Population (Current Population Survey for November 2008): 225,499,000
    Percentage of Voting Age Population casting a vote for President: 58.23%

Adding up all of the "other" votes came to 1,866, 981! That's nearly 2 million votes that SHOULD have been cast for the most VIABLE candidates!! Under NORMAL election conditions (NOT "voting just to be a part of history"), those votes MIGHT have changed the outcome!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:11 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:14 AM on Apr. 9, 2011