Would you let your kid take a lie detector test?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• No. Because our laws state NO ONE shall be forced to submit to a lie detector test to prove innocence or get a job. Study's have proven that people can flunk them easily even when telling the truth due to how nervous they are about getting one done. Thats why they are usually not allowed as evidence in court today. The high number of false positives.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:16 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Well I guess it all depends. If he/she is being accused of something they didn't do, then yes, I would allow them to take it. It's not submissable in court anyway, but I guess knowing he/she passed would help.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 8:56 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• For what? If they were accused of a crime I would hire a lawyer and at that point it would be up to our lawyer. I know our lawyer, he would tell the DA to go pound sand. He is just that way though.
    If you mean to see if they lied to me? No.

Answer by gemgem at 8:55 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Why would they need to?
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 8:54 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• It would depend. In my dh's line of work, he's had to take them several times, it's routine (he's military intel), and our ds is a Senior and has just enlisted and is also going intel. He leaves for Navy boot camp in the fall, so if they were to call and say they needed him to take one as part of his security clearance stuff, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

If it was because they thought he had committed a crime, but had no evidence of it, then honestly, no, I probably would not, not before I contacted a lawyer and talked to them first. If you can't afford one, I would tell them that I won't agree to it, so they will either have to drop it or charge him (and then, he would be entitled to a court appointed lawyer), so again, it would go back to not without consulting a lawyer first.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:01 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Police today are very sneaky and corrupt, so I'm going to change my answer and say no.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 9:26 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I guess it all depends on the situation.
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 8:55 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• if the police wanted him to because they have no evidence against him but are saying he did something.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:56 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• No. They are not accurate.

Someone who is truthful but nervous can come out looking guilty; someone who is a liar with no conscious can come out looking clean.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Then no like I said. You go hire a lawyer and tell them to talk to them. Plain and simple. My kids know if they ever get into any trouble and the police arrest them they are to say 4 words "I want my lawyer".

Answer by gemgem at 8:59 AM on Apr. 9, 2011