This is to those that had drugs through a iv to help with labor. What did you have? How was it for you?

I am pregnant and due in Auguest I had problems with the epidural when I had my second baby so I am soooo not wanting nything stuck in my back this time around, but at the same time I don't tollerate pain very well ecpecially if I know there is something to stop the pain. I have problems to this day 3 years later so I am going to try to avoid epidural or anything else in my back or spine as much as possible. But I heard that there was other drugs you can use that they put through an iv? Besides anything in my back is that the only other way to do it? What did you have through your iv? How did it help your pain? I am looking for as much info as possible. Also I will even take websites if you have any to where I can look up the drug and get info on it. Thanks

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 9:08 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had a something to take the edge off my pain. I actually tolerate pain generally well and it helped. You still feel the contractions but they aren't quite as bad. My plan was to go through it with out an epidural, but I had an emergency c-section.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:11 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• if you have an emergency c-section for whatever reason they have to give you an epidural? There isn't no other way? I had to vaginal so my chances are probably low, but I didn't think of the what if lol
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 9:13 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• With my 2nd child I got the "cocktail" it's 2 different drugs in a shot but I dont know what it was called. With my first I was induced and had the epidural. Thats a type of spinal tap. Both worked for me.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:13 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I don't recommend those either..LOL You will "feel" drugged with most.

I would say to make sure you get up and move around while in labor and give birth in a position like squatting or all fours. That will relive more pain than an IV drug. Laying flat on your back to labor and birth exacerbates the pain. Try a warm shower or bath..they help too.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:15 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• They don't have to do epidural in an emergency section. True emergencies would get you knocked out because there is NO time to wait for the epidural.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:17 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• oh and I was induced with both of my girls so I am taking it that my chaces for induction is high although I am going to do a lot of walking this summer to try to get it to were I don't have to be induced.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 9:17 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• You can move around while induced. Just keep in mind that unless your Bishop score is high, it may not work and could end in a section. Not to mention...induction hurt far worse than spontaneous , unaugmented labor.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:20 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• with my first i had some kind of narcotic pain reliever in my IV before i got my epidural. i think it was fentanyl or demerol or something but i HATED it.. it made me feel extremely dizzy and out of it. i kept telling the nurse to make it stop and she said it was too late, already in my system but the effects should wear off soon. she only gave me a small 'bolus' to start off with. needless to say i did not ask for more of that stuff. and the effects did only last an hour if that, but it was a terrible feeling. the epidural was great! and no you don't have to have an epidural for a c-section, you can opt to be put out instead.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:22 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I had demerol(sp?) but it didn't last long with in an hour the first does wore off, the second does only helped for 15 min. and then the 3rd time they gave it to me it didn't help any. Good luck finding something that works for you.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 9:25 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• i also had the epideural and it was great, i enjoyed not having any pain, just the burning of pushing mine out lol, it worked great for me, as soon as it started kicking in i couldn't feel my contractions anymore and i felt relieved. I hate the contractions, so horrible
    susaninman

Answer by susaninman at 9:32 AM on Apr. 9, 2011