When will i know my son is ready for potty training?

i have tried an experiment once and he just leaked through his underwear, but he takes off his diaper all the time when its wet. Can anyone give me any advice.

susaninman

Asked by susaninman at 9:23 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Google potty training readiness. They have checklists for you.

Can he tell you with words that he needs to go?(he won't, but the ability helps.)
    Can he pull his pants down?(he won't, but, it helps)
    Can he go through a 2 hour nap and wake up dry?
    Would he be afraid of the potty?
    Does he follow directions well?
    Can he walk and sit on the potty sufficiently?

If you say yes to all of that, take a week and make sure you have nothing else to do:
    Tell him that you are going to start "potty learning"
    Take him to the store and buy underwear
    The next morning, wake him up and tell him again, put him in underwear and tell him, "Let's go potty"
    Take him every 15 minutes saying the EXACT same thing.
    When he has that down to a habit enough to run on his own and try with NO accidents,Up it to 30 minutes.
    repeat the same thing until he has it down with NO accidents. Up it 45 minutes.
    By day 3 or 4,
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:42 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Sounds like he might be ready now to introduce the concept. We read 'Once Upon a Potty' a lot. The AAP has a book that covers many different training methods. My suggestion is to borrow it from your library and when you think you've found a method that will work, get more details on it. We did have a few false starts here. (PP has some good suggestions too.) One of my sons trained instantly when he got super hero underwear for his birthday.  His 4th birthday....

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:53 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• reading books are great before the actual potty training. the checklist is great to because there is a different from a child that is ready for potty training and just being a cute demon and playing with his diaper. my boy is 17 months old and is no way ready to potty train. he can pull his sweat pants down and pull at his diaper but i kno hes not ready for training.if u go down the checklist and u think hes ready then get some books and read them and ask him if he would like to do wat the kids do in the book and start to be a big boy. my mother did that with me and my sister(so she says i dont remember lol) then maybe if he seems interested then ya get some underwear he likes like cool car ones or whatever he likes, then get plain ones like solid color. tell him that the plain ones are to learn and the cool ones that he picked out are for when hes a big boy. its like a gowl that a toddler can understand and get excited about
    confused1991

Answer by confused1991 at 10:04 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• taking off the diaper is the first sign!
    set a timmer and take him to the potty every 15-30 minutes.
    praise him everytime he sits,make it really exciting for him when he goes. REALLY make a big deal about it. jump up and down clap praise. etc.etc. really make him feel good about doing this. dont get discuraged when he does go in his diaper or potty pants. but take him back to the potty and sit him down. if theres a man in the house have him go with him. if not pull your ptans down and sit with him on the potty. monitor his drinks. and make sure after he drinks to take him to the potty about 15 mins afterwards.
    we are semi potty trainging right now too! GL to you :)
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 10:30 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• my 16 month old boys take their diapers off too.. their dr said its because they know their is a different way to go potty and they know they dont need a diaper i would take him to the bathroom regularly and if he uses it reward him
    19withtwins

Answer by 19withtwins at 6:09 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• even tried again and i showed him where it was and he even sat on it for a little bit, he just stood up and squatted down on the floor and peed, had to clean it up. I really ain't sure if he is ready yet.
    susaninman

Comment by susaninman (original poster) at 6:52 PM on Apr. 9, 2011