Thought on this?

http://abcnewsstore.go.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/DSIProductDisplay?catalogId=11002&storeId=20051&productId=2036462&langId=-1&categoryId=100013

shattered faith?

Asked by older at 9:33 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Religious Debate

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • This is typical of "churches". They use their own views to skew and distort what the Bible teaches. Personally, it makes me sick and is why I no longer go to Church or believe in God.

KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 9:38 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I've heard about that before.....it sickens me that people actually believe that is what god wants them to do. It is nonsense.
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 9:39 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

•  ------> CLICKY

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:35 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Was way ahead of you... I usually do if someone else hasn't ;)
    ObbyDobbie

• Oh yeah, I agree. I write about avoiding them or their books like they plague on my mom page and blog. Awful folks.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:57 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I watched that show last night and it made me both angry and sick.
    And reading about the guy who says to use weedwhacker cord on small babies just makes me think he is the Devil himself. Babies are innocent.By the way he wants women to 'discipline' babies, it will turn the kids into serial killers or at least mentally ill as a result of the abuse and anger.....
    The sexual abuse cases were horrifying and I felt such sadness listening to the girls' stories. That church is evil.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:14 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• You already know my stance on the church being used to hide abuse (physical, emotional, psychological, sexual).

I'll repeat myself for anyone who doesn't know.

This is *not* an isolated incident. It happens every day, in every corner of the US. It is not limited to any particular denomination, or set of christian beliefs standards. Rest assured, if you attend a church, it is going on around you- and 9.99 times of 10 you will be completely oblivious to it. A) because the beliefs of the church condone what is classified as abuse, and use literal interpretation of biblical law to defend the practice. B) because parents, pastors and church leaders are afraid of "outside intervention". They vehemently deny any wrong doing, and challenge the character of the victim. C) the victim has been so completely broken by abuse that they are not strong enough to stand against their abusers.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:43 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Most of that started with Michael and Debi Pearl. "No Greater Joy" ministries and the book "To Train Up A Child". They advise using a 2" plumbing supply line to hit children. And to quote him:"It comes in pretty colors so you can have a designer rod to carry with you in your purse or pocket at all times." They also recommend hitting babies from tiny(4months or maybe sooner) with some weedeater cording.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:52 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Sabrina posted about this last night. As I said on her thread, I hope that with the exposure of 20/20, the authorities and/or social services can step in and remove these poor, innocent children from those deranged people.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 10:06 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Popzaroo~ it is unlikely. Very, very unlikely. Unfortunately, the majority of investigations turn up far too little to make a case for prosecution because any and all involved are only interested in preserving the sanctity of the church. Furthermore, if abuse IS found, it is rarely punished- religious abusers use their beliefs as a buffer between them and the real world implications of abuse, and it's consequences... all you have to do is read the news for the past year to see the favor they are shown when sentencing is considered.
    Add the factor of majority rule- most of their peers are religious to some degree, even those who are heading the investigation, and therefore are incapable of being truly objective. Add the state of the victim's credibility. If they have been portrayed as "troubled" or having had a reputation for behaviors not condoned by the church, they lose ALL credibility.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:15 AM on Apr. 9, 2011