Why do people on here get so uppity when you tell them you are an Atheist?

KateShesGreat3

Asked by KateShesGreat3 at 9:35 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• lol, I was going to say almost the same thing. There are some who claim to be of a faith who get uppity when they hear someone is Atheist. There are some who claim to be Atheist who get smug and act intellectually superior when they hear someone believes in God.

It goes both ways. I think it's because being rude and ignorant (in your manner, not just in your intellect) has no racial, economic, or religious boundaries. There are rude, obnoxious people in all walks of life, and sadly, for every 10 Christians who respect your right to believe what you want (or, for that matter, every 10 Atheists who respect your right to believe what you want), there's going to be 1 who doesn't. And it seems to be the nature of things that that 1 person will be the most vocal, and the most memorable in the group, and thus, everyone (or most) get painted with that brush, kwim?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:44 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• There are a lot of people that 'get uppity' if you say your are a Christian. It goes both ways here.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:40 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• It's the same as anywhere. People don't like hearing you don't believe in what they believe in, especially when it comes to something like religion. It's the same as someone saying "I don't believe in the color green". It's something that we've been taught to believe, something we've always known to be true, so we don't agree with those who don't believe in it too. And people who are religios, and even those who aren't, don't like hearing "I don't believe".
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:44 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• some people live in a small box called 'My Own World'.
    maybe you're revealing something they aren't comfortable with? maybe..you should be more selective about who you share your personal beliefs with, if this is a reaction you get most often. no offense, but i've been here a long time, and it seems there are very few who gets twisted over complete opposite belief systems..unless the conversation is negative to begin with. that goes for IRL, too.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:45 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Prayer does nothing, --

my point of a negative conversation...a simple, ''i don't believe in prayer.'' would've sufficed, rather than a slam back.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:47 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I am religious but it doesn't bother me if someone is atheist, that is thier choice to not believe in God, it does not make them a bad person. People just think everyone needs to believe the way they do.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:51 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I dont. Your free to think and feel however you want in my opinion. Ill pray for you though
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:39 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Prayer does nothing, so please don't waste your time : ) Thanks though
    KateShesGreat3

Comment by KateShesGreat3 (original poster) at 9:43 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Fair enough. I guess I've just had some bad experiences.
    KateShesGreat3

Comment by KateShesGreat3 (original poster) at 9:47 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• People simply do not know how to tolerate each other. Especially when it comes to religion and politics. You have the right to your own opinion. "Agree to disagree"
    Jerzymom

Answer by Jerzymom at 9:50 AM on Apr. 9, 2011