4 year old cut her hair, now what?

My 4 year old DD just hacked a good 5 inches off of her hair in random places. I'm so upset and disappointed, especially because she has a dance recital in a couple of months and her hair grows extremely slow. We've been trying forever to get it to grow out and it was finally just past shoulder length. So she's cleaning up her playroom while I come here and figure out what to do or say.

She got the scissors from her school box, and she knew better. She even hid the hair and scissors in her dress up box. Now I know how my mom felt when I did that around the same age :(

Xynyth

Asked by Xynyth at 9:39 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Every child HAS to do it. Some more than others. Egh. Take her to the salon, they will fix it up the best they can. It probably wont look great, but people will know exactly what happened. I know you don't want to do anything she might see as a reward, but I think you're kind of screwed on that one. Sorry mama.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:33 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Take her and get it cut short. Thats all you can do besides the obvious of putting up ALL the sissors in your house.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:41 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• My daughter cut her hair 2 or 3 times, all of her dolls had crew cuts and she even "trimmed" one of the cats when she was 4! I would get her hair cut as short as needed to even it up AND hide all the scissors.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 9:43 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• if you take her to a salon, be sure to warn them ahead of time that it is a corrective-cut, due to her own hacking. there's probably not much they can do to please you at this point, so don't expect a miracle.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:50 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• every little girl does this( i havnt met one woman that hasnt)my mom brought me to a BARBER shop and told him to buss my hair military style!!! i was about 5 i think and when he grabbed the buzz cutter i remember screaming and jumped off the chair. i told my mom i was sorry but she said. if u wanted to cut ur hair u should have came to me and i would hav brought u to get it cut by the people whos job it is to cut it. she still made me get a buzz cut but instead of basically making my into a jar head, the guy used those buffers on the machine and i had a cute boy cut. very short in the back and long on the top like a real boy. my mom said i never cut my hair after that. and if my daughter did that(if i hav a daughter i only hav one toddler boy) i will do the same thing.
    confused1991

Answer by confused1991 at 9:57 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Just take her and get a short hair cut. I know it sux my . My DD did the same thing and I think alot of us have been there.At least it will growback .
    Brandy928

Answer by Brandy928 at 10:04 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Take her to the salon and see if they can fix it.
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 9:44 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I think most of us have done that at an early age. Take her to the salon and see what they can do, maybe it can be cut into a cute bob or layered somehow.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 9:46 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• My daughter did that too!!!! Her hair was cut as short as her brother's by the time the salon was done with her. Poor girl. At least her hair has grown out long enough to now be a shaggy cute shoulder length bob. It'll come back in before you know it.. until then you can always accessorize with headbands and clips =)
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 9:49 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Well obviously I'm taking the scissors out of her school box. That's kind of a given lol. She's always been very responsible with them until now, so I let my guard down.

I know she's going to have to get a hair cut, but that's kind of a treat for her, and I don't want to send her the wrong message, you know?
    Xynyth

Comment by Xynyth (original poster) at 9:53 AM on Apr. 9, 2011