I have stopped producing breast milk after 10 months...how do I get my son to take the formula?

I breast fed my son for 10 months, and now I am not producing milk anymore. My little boy does not like the formula AT ALL! I don't know how to get him to take it. I feel like I am failing him...can anyone suggest anything that will help us?

norcalnative114

Asked by norcalnative114 at 8:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What I would do is this:

1) Sign up to all the formula companies to get their free samples - most of them will send some to you for free within a couple of days - or go out and buy different kinds - babies tend to like one variety over another.

2) Try feeding him formula straight from the fridge - my DD hated anything that was room-temperature or body-temperature.

3) Try a different bottle - if he's been getting BM in a bottle, he might not like that his normal "comfort" is different. My DD wanted something with a straw - we got the Nuby bottle and it helped out some.

(big hugs)
    Noinix

Answer by Noinix at 9:18 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I am so sorry to hear about your situation. I'm in a similar situation, only my guy stopped breastfeeding suddenly, so I have to supplement with formula because I'm not producing enough now by just pumping.
    If you are still interested in nursing him, I would consult a lactation expert. They may be able to help you to re-lactate. If that doesn't work, you might want to try mixing his formula with foods, like oatmeal or rice cereal to get him accustomed to the taste. Have you tried more than one type of formula? Is it the formula that he rejects, or the bottle? I am not sure if he is used to using a bottle or not.
    You did an awesome job nursing as long as you did. Sometimes, our bodies just don't cooperate. Hang in there and hopefully, someone has some good tips for you.
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 9:22 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• are you sure you arent producing anymore? i wanted to relactate at one point (i became lazy eventually..i felt bad but anyways) and my lactation consultant told me to take 9 Fenugreek herbs a day. it will bring your milk back. esp if he can try to latch on and suck on it then itll come back. you can find them at any vitamin store. take three..three times a day. also you can drink mothers milk. that can help too. im sure you havent totally dried up ESP if youve been doin it for 10 months. im sure you could get it back easily :) good luck!!!
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 9:33 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• just introduce cows milk, goats milk , soy or rice milk... No need introducing something you have to wean him off of in 8 weeks
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 9:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• isn't it stressful to stop producing milk??!!!!

we are not doctors, but i think introducing reg. milk would be worth trying first. like the above poster said.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:52 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I would just work on getting your milk back! Formula is nasty and unhealthy.. it's like giving your baby junk food!! Why dont you pump every three hours during the day and then offer the breast after pumping or vice versa. You can also take fenugreek or drink mother's milk tea. It's doubtful that your milk is completely gone, but even if it is you can work your supply back up.
    Anonymous

• Try making your own formula and see if he will take that if not see if you can get him to drink regular milk, he's old enough now.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:28 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I just wanted to thank everyone that took the time to help me with my dilemma. Everyone was so helpful! Thanks ladies
    norcalnative114

Answer by norcalnative114 at 11:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2008