Anyone got any ideas how to get a pill that can't be crushed down a 6 yr old?

mamamel61

Asked by mamamel61 at 10:09 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Crushed down a 6 year old?
    anthonys_mom21

Answer by anthonys_mom21 at 10:10 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• My son takes pills well and has since he was about 5 1/2. Is your child scared? Is it a large pill? Call the doctor to ask for some tips. My son gets a cup os juice or water and pops the pill in his mouth and just swallows it down.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:11 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• If its not large...slip it in a bite of applesauce, pudding - something they don't "chew"
    brypmom

Answer by brypmom at 10:14 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I used to put the pills in yogurt or pudding.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:15 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• i always managed to cut them in 1/2. If you have good knives, try making them smaller.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:18 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Teach him how to swallow it. My son HATED liquid and started swallowing pills at like 3 just to avoid the liquid med.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:20 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Put it on the back of the tongue and hand them water. The first one is always the worst. Once they figure out that they can get one down and nothing bad happens, its all good. Pudding or apple sauce is also good.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:25 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• My mom always used chunky mashed potatoes, that way we weren't confused with the "clump"

There came a time where we just had to fight it. But, my 14yo sister pukes if she tries to swallow a pill... she'll take the nasty liquid med first, any day!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:33 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Thank you all. Have tried having her put it way back in her throat and swallow with water, have also tried applesauce - not sure if she is scared or what, but she just refuses to swallow, she works the applesauce around in her mouth until the pill ends up on the tip of her tongue and there it stays. I'm not sure I can cut it in half as it is what they call extended release and after she has had it in her mouth the coating is gone and you can see two halves - doubt I could cut it evenly on that line. Guess I will have to call her pediatrician on Monday - maybe there is something different he can give her that comes in liquid form - she is bad with some liquids also - the only thing she will take well is amoxacillin because it doesn't taste bad
    mamamel61

Comment by mamamel61 (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• i was gonna suggest that you call her doctor and ask him if there is an alternative to the pill, or try puting it in a table spoon of juice and let it melt. you can then put the spoonful of medication in her mouth with a glass of the same juice or water.
    AngelPalindro

Answer by AngelPalindro at 3:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2011