How old is too old to have a baby?

My son is gonna be four in sept. And I'm gonna be 40 in may and I'm really craving to have another baby. Sigh!

janeq123

Asked by janeq123 at 10:29 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• I say do it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:31 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• . My neighbor's daughter gave birth to her first child... she is 49.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:32 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• when your over 47 I think your to old. Your Dr should be able to judge if it's safe or not for you to have another baby. 40 is NOT to old though.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:36 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I think your body will determine that, if you want a baby I say go for it :)
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:38 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• go for it. my mother was 45 when she had me.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:42 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• One thing I'm sad about is I got tubal litigation and I really feel like I want another. Crazy huh
    janeq123

Comment by janeq123 (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I saw if you feel you can do it, then do it. No one can make the decision on how old is to old to have a baby. Do what you feel is right. I do think you should consult with your doctor to make sure he feels the same way you do!
    annabelle092810

Answer by annabelle092810 at 10:45 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• My mother was almost 39 when she birthed me. It caused significant lasting trauma to her body, because of her advanced age. She was never able to play with me like I do with my own children. She turned 50 the year I turned 13... She was so far removed from the reality of our current societal state that it was actually dangerous.

If you feel you're still young enough, no one should say otherwise. HOWEVER, if you've passed a point of being able to conceive naturally, without intervention, you're simply testing fate- and mother nature. You're asking for a bad outcome.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:46 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Jane- I feel your pain. I had a TL 4 years ago. I knew at the time I would regret it, but it prevented my now ex husband (read abuser) from raping me with the intent of trapping me into another pregnancy. I would love to be able to share the experience of pregnancy, birth, and child rearing with my SO. But it'll never happen. It hurts, my heart aches, I want another one- especially since my "baby" isn't a baby anymore.... so I got a dog (:
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:49 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• In my opinion, if you have gone through a natural menopause, then you are too old. I know many mothers over 40 and they appear much younger then those their own age who have only older children. :) It will keep you young!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:51 AM on Apr. 9, 2011