Is walking fast for 30 min and jogging slow for another 30 min helpful?

I started using the beautiful park infront of my house ( finally) only my 4th time but I walk fast for 30 min and jogg for a good 30 min with 1-2 min breaks in between ( walking)
I need to lose 15 lbs and lift my rear ( naturally)

MexTexmom2

Asked by MexTexmom2 at 10:31 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Actually, jogging on the treadmill is an excellent workout to firm your butt.

(From Women's Health: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/butt-blasting-cardio)

In 2007, researchers at the Madonna Rehabilitation Hospital in Lincoln, Nebraska, set out to learn which machines kick your ass the hardest. Here's how their findings shake out, as well as a few glute-blasting pointers from Lindsay Dunlap, a personal trainer at the Sports Club/LA in New York City.

The Machine Percentage of Glute Muscles Activated*
    Treadmill (jogging) 48.9
    Elliptical 32.6
    Treadmill (walking) 24.3
    StairMaster 24.0
    Recumbent Bike 6.0

*Refers to gluteus maximus, the largest of the three glute muscles
    5BabyBees

Answer by 5BabyBees at 10:45 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Any exercise that gets your heart rate up for more than a 1/2 hour is Very good for you.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:37 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Any kind of exercise is great and 60 min is plenty of time. If you want to start running more, do intervals, do a 10 or 15 min warm up, then jog for 2-4 min (whatever you're comfortable with) and a 1 min walk. for the remainder of the hour. every few weeks increase your run time by 1 min. Before you know it you'll be running 60 min straight!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 10:43 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Should be good as long as you are consistent with being active you will eventaully see and feel results
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:33 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• "The Firm" workout will lift your butt naturally. Jogging is great for cardio, but ill not really lift your butt. Mom 2 cuties, gave some GREAT advice about increasing your jogging time.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:54 AM on Apr. 9, 2011