How can I keep stray cats out of my outside trash can's???

I have lids on them but these crazy cats always seem to get them off!

-teresa4

Asked by -teresa4 at 9:18 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Pets

• Just feed them rat poisen or shoot them. Bet they'll never come back then!! hahahaa
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• OH thats awful! call a no kill animal humane society to come and get them or secure your trash can so they can't get in. duct tape?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:55 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Not a very smart answer krazyash. I volunteer for a cat shelter that deals with only stray and feral cats and we get kitties on occasion who have eaten rat poison. Its a very painful and cruel way to die. These cats didnt choose to live out on the street its the irresponsible owners who dont spay and neuter their pets that have caused these cats to have to fend for themselves and eat out of garbage cans. Anyways.... on to your question. Sorry. Umm i would put a brick or two on top of each lid which dont cost much. or if you have some rocks about the same weight as a brick. That will prevent them from getting into your garbage.
    itsokmomshere

Answer by itsokmomshere at 10:45 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• If the brick doesn't work...spray amonia near the bag or can. I know it smells but it works.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 10:50 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Put the trash cans in your garage that's where we keep ours.
    madrigalreject

Answer by madrigalreject at 3:44 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• i was jost joking. i would never ever kill them with rat poison.

krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 7:24 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• get cans with tighter fitting lids or use bungy cords to tie them down until trash day
    Marci81

Answer by Marci81 at 9:30 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Ammonia smells (to a cat) like cat urine, you will have cats peeing all over, which believe me is as bad as them getting in your trash or worse! Put some vinegar in a spray bottle and spray it all around the area every day for a couple of weeks, and in the meantime, use the bricks like the PP said, or get animal-proof garbage cans. If they are dog-proof and coon-proof, a cat sure can't get into them! Poor kitties are going to die with winter coming on and no way to get food.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• My mother puts bricks on hers. We have ours in the garage. There are trash cans with handles that flip up and keep the lids on.

Answer by Bmat at 8:51 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Answered at 1:03 PM on Dec. 1, 2008 by: pagan_mama

hmmm maybe it was vinegar...I dunno I was talking about amonia when I was reading this LOL
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:40 AM on Dec. 2, 2008