How can i get my 3yr old to listen to me better?

ok so when ever i ask my daughter to do something she sits there and tells me "no" granted its not everytime but more so than doing what i ask..my response is usually time out nd no movies for the day nd i tell her how u shouldnt tell mommy no its not nice and i dont like it but when my fieance ask her she will do it??? i think some of it has to do with wat her dad say to her(my fieance is not her bio dad) and things he lets her do at his house.. and i understand that she is 3 and thats a part of it testing her boundries...any suggestions?

rachel216

Asked by rachel216 at 10:40 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• slap her upside the head...lol no but really, with my kids now all i have to do is give them the "look" and they know they'd better straighten the act up and do as i say or they're in trouble. we do time outs but we also spank, and now if they say no it normally goes like this: i tell them to do something, they say no: Me: Excuse me?! [in stern voice] WHAT did you just say to me? I TOLD you to [insert here]. Them: yes ma'am...and then they go do it.

if for some reason they say no again it goes about the same way, only it's "would you LIKE to go to time out?" them: no... "then WHAT did i say?" then they do it.

if they insist on saying no, then it's time out for [dd is 2 so 2 minutes, ds is 4 so 4 minutes] then after time out i get down to their level, ask them why they were in time out, make sure they understand why. then they have to go do what i told them to do. if for some reason that doesn't work, they get a spank
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:58 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Keep doing the time outs and also make sure she spends positive one on one time with you. Plus praise her when she does things right. Sometimes they go for the negative attention when they do not get enough positive attention
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• just try to talk to her and also why do you let a man that not her father talk to her why dont you talk to her real father about this problem you have with your dauther the real father should know about this and fast go to chruch every sunday and talk to god he will hear you but do what I am telling you talk to the real father about this it will help well god bless you and your 3 years old dauther
    marivel718

Answer by marivel718 at 4:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Perhaps when your really serious, stoop down and speak clearly eye-to-eye. Thats how I let my DD know that I mean business!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:41 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• thanks for the advise ladies ill deff try them out!..her bio dad and i dont agree parenting wise nor do i see him as her real father he just comes nd goes as he pleases and hasnt seen her once since his kid has been born in mid march hes really nothing mre than a deadbeat but i can still try i spose ..but the advise helps and thank you
    rachel216

Comment by rachel216 (original poster) at 11:20 PM on Apr. 9, 2011