• In the Spotlight:

kennel cough???

My dog kept coughing last night. First thought was heartworms but then I was watching youtube videos of dogs with kennel cough. It sounds just like that. Can dogs get kennel cough JUST if they were in a kennel or vets. He hasnt, I have had him for 8 yrs. He hasnt been around any other dog that I know of that has been in kennel or vet either. can it still be kennel cough. (He is going to vet just worried and thought I would ask)

tabithah2os

Asked by tabithah2os at 8:03 AM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Pets

• It really could be a lot of things, kennel cough is typically picked up from exposure to other dogs via grooming, boarding, dog parks, play dates etc. It could be heartworms if not on a preventative, but it could also be an issue with the heart. Best bet is to have the vet take a look, it could be something as simple as barking too much in one day..lol. Working for a vet for 7 years you see all kinds of reasons for coughing, so dont stress too much yet hun. Good Luck!!!! If you have any other ?'s feel free to PM me!
    Anubis8733

Answer by Anubis8733 at 9:22 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I agree with the other answer. Your dog doesn't have to go into a kennel to get kennel cough. Is he up to date on his Bordetella vaccination? If not, there's a good chance he could have kennel cough. He could have come into contact with a dog who wasn't showing symptoms yet. Either way, take him to the vet to be sure. YOur local Humane society would probably be the cheapest place to go, if cost is an issue.
    lilghstygrl

Answer by lilghstygrl at 9:47 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• My dog coughed all winter.. a very productive cough... they thought it might be kennel cough so they put him on an antibiotic.. it did nothing for him... Since the weather warmed up he is perfect... Not sure, but I think his previous owners were smokers.. it sounded like COPD to me..
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:06 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• You can get Kennel cough from any animal in the back yard and you need to take your dog to the vet asap
    Anonymous

• It sounds like kennel cough. We saved our chow chow from the animal shelter and 2 days later he had kennal cough which he gave to our other 2 dogs. I would just take him to the vet and they will prolly put him on an antibotic for ten days twice a day. Just be catuious if you have other dogs b/c it can be VERY contagious.
    hanksmom0207

Answer by hanksmom0207 at 8:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• im a vet tech of 15yrs now......first off kennel cough is a virus and is treatable with the right antibiotics. yes they get it from kennels vets offices or anywhere they are exposed to the virus. If your dog has a deep tracheal cough that is more than likely the diagnosis. yes it is very contagous to your other dogs as well but it will run its course like most other viruses and will go away....you do need to get a round of clavamox, or ammoxi. good luck
    cwest74

Answer by cwest74 at 9:11 PM on Jul. 29, 2008