Weaning off Formula

My son is 13 months old and I want to start weaning off formula - but I am confused - so I know to do the mixing of forumla and whole milk but once I am down to just whole milk, do I stop giving him the bottle at nap time and bed time or what do I do then? would I keep using the bottle also or just put the whole milk in a sippy cup and do that or just put him down for his naps and bed right after a meal?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 9:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well, he's not attached to his bottles at all, but what my real concern is that I will rock his while he is eating his bottle and that's part of his sleeping routine - do I just break that cold turkey also by stopping the bottles once he's fully weaned onto milk and then what? Do I just feed him normal foods and milk /water / juice til he gets used to this? he's not a great eater so I am afraid he won't get full or the right nutirents.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:58 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• well you can mix it if you want. i went cold turkey. as for bottles, he was off those cold turkey too. i started by putting the formula in the sippy cups before i weaned him off the bottle. that way when he was 12 months, i just took him off the bottle and formula. as for bed time, i stopped him going to bed with a bottle at 6 months. the older they get, the harder it is to wean them off. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:55 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I never mix the two. I always just put cold milk in a sippy cup just like I would juice for my boys to have a drink. I slowly cut back the bottles. Right now I am cutting out my 11 month olds bottle at breakfast and his bottle right after nap in the afternoon. He is eating more solid food at breakfast with milk in a sippy cup. After nap I am giving him a snack, such as a banana, piece of cheese, cereal, with milk in a sippy cup. I get rid of the daytime bottles first and then the one right before bed. My son also wakes up between 4 and 6 for a bottle and with my oldest that was the last one to go. Hopefully this wasn't too confusing.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 9:57 PM on Nov. 30, 2008