Copycats

my 2 year old daughter copies literally everything that my 4 year old daughter does. if she comes to me and says something, the 2 year old is right behind her saying the exact same thing. if the older one laughs, the little one laughs. copies her in playtime, at mealtimes, every chance she can get.

well lately my 4 year old is becoming extremely annoyed by it. for breakfast if i ask if she wants cereal or waffles and picks one, and the 2 year old picks the same thing, she will say she wants the other then. she tells her to stop copying her, don't copy me, etc.

i can understand how annoying it is, and that she wants to do/have her own things and not be followed 24/7. but i also understand from my 2 year old's perspective that she loves her big sister and wants to be just like her. i have tried explaining to my oldest why she does it, how special she is because of it, etc. i haven't tried approaching the subject with the younger one yet, because i don't think she'll understand anyway.

i realize this is all normal behavior.. but what can i do when my 4 year old is constantly annoyed by this?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 11:56 AM on Apr. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just keeping doing what you are. I told mine they did it because they loved them so much they wanted to be just like them. Sometimes it lessened the complaining, some times it didnt.

Answer by gemgem at 12:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I agree with gemgem.. and I am going through the same thing right now with my boys lol good luck
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 9, 2011