Formula question. Which one to use?

hi. I was wondering which formula is the best and how do you know that this particular brand works for your little one? My girl is 5 weeks old now. She has no health problems,is completly happy little girl. What formula should I give her? I tried nestle gentle plus and she loves it. She takes 4 oz in 10 min,poops well, has at least 4 poopy diapers a day. But she gets very gus every day before bed time and she passes a lot of stinky gas. Is it the formula or something that I am eating,maybe some dairy. She takes formula only once a day when she seems not to get enough from my breast,when they are empty,she will not suck anymore and it takes time to fill them back with milk. Anyway,i am plannimg to breastfeed for 6 months and looking for the right formula for the future. But which one? How do I know that this formula doesn't or does work for heer? She spits up almost after every feeding,but it's not much at all,other than that she does great. Should I get her regular iron formula or for those with fussines and gas, or something else? Which one your baby likes?

crouse3

Asked by crouse3 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• with babies you aren't supose to switch from formula to formula usually you use what they used in the hospital
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I breastfed her in the hospital and they did not give her anything.
    crouse3

Comment by crouse3 (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• The best formula is the one that your baby will take, and have no issue with. You can ask your pedi what they recommend, and for samples so that you can try before you buy. No pressure or bashing, just wondering why you want to wean at 6 mos? If you would rather not discuss it, that's fine :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:46 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Best for is what your baby will take.

You've got some misconceptions on breastfeeding, however. She's SUPPOSED to act like she's not getting enough. That's normal. And your breasts don't "fill" when the system is working right. The female breast is more like a faucet than a jug. When you turn on the faucet, the water comes. When baby latches, the milk comes. Sometimes not as fast as she likes.

Letting the breast "fill" is actually horrible for supply; if milk is allowed to collect there the system slows down and stops. So... save bottles for when you are NOT there. If you want to switch at six months, you'll have to experiment till you find what works.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:59 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Gerber Good Start was the best things to use for my son but its up to your little one
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 2:30 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I started DD on Enfamil, but had to switch to Similac because of WIC. DD had no problem with either. If your SO is gassy, try using the sensative/gassy formula of whichever brand you've been using.
    JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 7:02 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• its the formula that's causing the gas my 10 day old has the same thing lol babies spit up .. so i wouldent worry a little bits ok..
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 5:25 PM on Apr. 11, 2011