How do I get my mother-in-law to stop spoiling my sons. She bought them most of toys r us for thier first birthday (she did the same at Christmas). How to I nicely tell her to stop??

MaryanneMac

Asked by MaryanneMac at 12:32 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• are you saying toys-r-us? i am confused so before i answer just need clarification
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 12:33 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Ask her for gift cards for the kids instead because they love shopping and know what they want.... I don't have any other ideas right now..
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 12:35 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• yes I meant toys R us (Sorry I made the mistake of spell check.)
    MaryanneMac

Comment by MaryanneMac (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• ok no prob just wanted to know before i answered and sounded like an idiot with my response!! haha my advice is to tell her while you appreciate the gestures you are not comfortable with what she is teaching your kids. they are gonna expect very expensive gifts every time their birthdays or holidays roll around and you want them to appreciate what they do have and that her just buying a little something and spending time with them on these special days is plenty good enough. i hope that this helps
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 12:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• u can just tell her in a joking manner that she is spoiling them,in a way she wont take it as an offence,or u discuss more about their mental activites which will lead too their not been over pampared.
    triplejoy12

Answer by triplejoy12 at 1:16 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• You could tell her you'd like one gift and then she can contribute to their college fund. Or you could say if there are too many toys they will be donated to charities.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Just like that. A child doesn't need a bunch of toys to be happy. It just makes a mess and annoys you. Tell her how you feel and what you want done. She can change it to clothes or college savings bonds. If she has a need to spend lots of money .
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 2:44 PM on Apr. 9, 2011