Women who were on Progesterone &/or Permetrium their whole pregnancy...

What week of your pregnancy did you stop taking them and how long did you go into labor after you stopped them? Or did you go into labor while still on them?

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 12:34 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• This is so my area lol! I was only on the Permetrium for the first trimester to prevent miscarriage. I have had 3 miscarriages all together and after the first 2 my OB determined it was because my body would stop producing progesterone at about 6 weeks. According to my OB the progesterone is only necessary until the amniotic sac is completely formed. The progesterone is what keeps the baby alive until he/she can start getting nutrients from the placenta/umbilical chord/etc. So once I hit 12-13 weeks with my son (pregnancy #5) I was taken off the prometrium and all was well. I didn't have him until 37 weeks. How far along are you? Did they say why they put you on the Permetrium?
    Missalissa86

Answer by Missalissa86 at 12:39 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I was on Prometrium until around 12 weeks. I was induced at 36 weeks for other medical reasons.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:02 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Missalissa86, I was 1st put on Progesterone at 11 weeks when I had a lot of bleeding and they found out I had placenta previa. At week 15 they found I was having too many contractions too early, so they added the permetrium. I am 33 weeks now and they told me to stop both at 36 weeks.
    ABPeterson

Comment by ABPeterson (original poster) at 1:10 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Ohhhhh, I have never been on it for those reasons. I am not sure if it would cause labor soon after going off of it because I have never taken it that late into the pregnancy. :( I would probably pack a hospital bag the night before you go off of it and alert everyone that labor could be any day just to be safe. That way if stopping the medicine does put you into labor you are prepared. On the bright side, your OB knows your history and if stopping the Permetrium does cause labor your OB would not have recommended you stop taking it unless having the baby at that point was safe. You still have a few weeks too before you have to stop so maybe next week you can call your OB and ask them the same questions. GL! :)
    Missalissa86

Answer by Missalissa86 at 1:20 PM on Apr. 9, 2011