Almost 3 and wont talk

my son will be 3 in June, and seems to not talk, i know he can i have heard him do it. he has a little problem pronouncing most words. but he is supper smart in every other aspect, the Dr has told me he has a comprehending of a child at lest a year more than his age. up tell now i just keep telling my self that Albert Eisenstein didn't talk tell he was 7 and its all ok. but now we are talking about early preschool. with out speech i'm a little worried that it will keep him out of the classes he really needs. we have the summer to get him up to speed before the first test. any one know what could be going on or any ways to help fix this with out speech classes. keep in mind he can just dont want to. he is also an only child at the moment.

Manda_Evans

Asked by Manda_Evans at 12:35 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe try Early Intervention Program if they have one in your area. There may be other reasons why he won't talk, how does he communicate with you? Since you understand and meet his needs without him talking, he may feel there is no need for him to talk. Tell him that he can't have a drink unless he tries to tell you what he wants, maybe just one word at a time, such as cup or something short like that.
    mamamel61

Answer by mamamel61 at 12:51 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Oh My! I'll trade you!!!!!! My daughter just turned 4 and won't shut up. From the time she gets up until the time she goes to bed the constant chatter never ends. She's not perfectly clear yet, but like your son she can she just won't. If it's a hard sound, at all (to her), she'll use the "duh" sound to indicate the syllable. Example: dehduhduhr for sweatshirt. We're working with her to get it right, she's just super stubborn.

I wouldn't worry too much though. Like mamamel said, start small. Get him to say words to you at home to get what he wants. "I'm sorry sweetie, I don't understand pointing; you need to tell me what you want".

Good Luck!

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:17 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Since he's almost 3, I would get a developmental evaluation done by Early Intervention as soon as possible. It's free and if there is a delay they will offer free or very low cost speech therapy, if there is no delay then you at least have peace of mind. After 3, early intervention stops and you generally have to work with the school system and they are usually much more difficult to deal with!

Answer by missanc at 1:20 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Do you have any older children?

My youngest (who is now 4 1/2) would barely talk, and when she would, I would have to get my oldest to translate...it was THAT bad...at the age of 3. I decided to go ahead and get her into head start. They let her in just fine, and ya know what? Its been the BEST thing for her! She talks a lot clearer now, in full sentences. She still has a long way to go yet, but she's grown up so much in this last year that its just amazing me.

I personally wouldn't worry about your LO not speaking too much at the test. If they're good, they'll know what to do/how to deal with him :D And they might even get him into special speech classes to just help him out!
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 1:45 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Also, do you know basic sign language? Like cup, food, drink, etc? If so, start teaching him. It really helped me out with each of my kids.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 1:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• he does the basic stuff like drink, mom, i thinks thats about it the rest of the time its babel.
    Manda_Evans

Comment by Manda_Evans (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• i would talk to a speech specialist. by 3 he should be saying sentences not just a few words. and i'd seek a second opinion with another doctor.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• well sorry to hear that but I had that problem years ago I had a Stoke when I was 22 years old I went to a hospital and got help with my speeth and it help but I went to brooklyn hospital a long time ago but there is hospitals that could give you the help you need like manttan hospitals look arond and you will find it also look online for listings and you will find it also go to chrunch and pray for him and god will hear your prayers well this is all god bless you and your son
    marivel718

Answer by marivel718 at 4:03 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I would talk to a speech specialist. Maybe have some of your friends kids that are his age come over. Kids are more open to other kids. good luck.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 9, 2011