What is the best way to get my son to latch on correctly?

shenellsims88

Asked by shenellsims88 at 1:15 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Tickle the corner of his mouth with your finger until he opens up and follows your finger, and use that to guide his mouth where it needs to be. My son had a hard time figuring it out too, and this helped, you can also wiggle your finger (gently! =) into his mouth when he is trying to latch on to help him open his mouth a bit wider if he needs, or to re-adjust yourself if he's latching on a bit lopsided. I hope it helps!
    MsKylaSkyy

Answer by MsKylaSkyy at 1:18 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Well, there are several techniques out there none of which I am confident I could explain in text... I would check out some web sites with pictures. Try  this site here. They are FULL of good info.  If all else fails look into getting an appointment with a Lactation Consultant in your area.  Some Peds even have them on staff.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:19 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• try different holding positions, listen to the noises they make (slurping and clucking means not latched propery)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:18 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• lay down side lying and topless side by side with naked baby-- position him at first face to face then tip of his nose to line up with your nipple and belly to belly-watch a good movie and sip something cool to drink let him find you
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 5:33 PM on Apr. 9, 2011