What does it take to be a good CNA?

I am thinking of taking the class to get my certification as a CNA but I am trying to decide if I would be good at the job. What has your expierence been like? What traits does a good CNA possess? My husband used to be a CNA so I do know a little about the job already.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Money & Work

• The most important thing is caring about your patients.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 1:36 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• You will encounter patients in various stages of their lives. Whether it is hospice, temporary illness, surgery, postpartum, etc. You will need compassion and a good bedside manner. You will have the most personal contact with the patient and their family. The nurse whom you work under will be busy with paperwork and patient care outside your scope of practice. The job will require patience. You will work your butt off and in the end it can be a good job if you are cut out for it. I was never a CNA, but what I did when I was a ward corpsman was the equivalent of a CNA. You will need a strong stomach because you will be cleaning patients who cannot control their bodies, have infections, or are just sick. You will probably have to do post mortem care which entails cleaning the deceased. It's a good foot in the door if you have aspirations of taking your knowledge further. CNAs are always needed.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:36 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Caring, compassion, understanding, kindness, patience, and a strong mind.
    AnasMommy7

Answer by AnasMommy7 at 1:37 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• COMPASSION above all things. I'm an STNA, and the biggest downfall of this job is people who don't give a flying rat's ass about their residents. The rest, you can learn. A strong stomach also helps because you deal with the nastiest stuff there. But, like I tell everyone else, if you really care for these people, it won't bother you to clean up their poo, you just do it. Because it makes them comfortable, clean and happy. :) I love my job. When I become a nurse, I'm going to continue to work in geriatrics.
    CollegeMommy121

Answer by CollegeMommy121 at 1:41 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• all of the above, but also be physically capable....in my experience there's a lot of lifting.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I have experienced that with my son. When he was born I love him so much I had no problem changing his diapers.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:46 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• A good strong back and excellent lifting skills. I'm an RN but did my share of lifting working in a nursing home. Now I am suffering with disc disease and severe arthritis of my entire spine. And, it is important as several others have said to really care about your patients, I used to tell my aides to think what if this person was your Mother, Father or Grandparent how would you like them cared for and do it. Be empathetic with the family, again think as if this person was your family how would you like to be treated. You will be short staffed frequently if you work in a nursing home, be prepared for that And, be prepared to work with people who do not care about the patients at all. I don't know why they work in this field, but many do.
    mamamel61

Answer by mamamel61 at 3:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• CNA's work is not pleasant. You will always be supervised by LPN's and RN's. They will always be reminding you that they are ABOVE you. You will have to deal with bathing, cleaning, lifting and generally all the work the LPN and RN will not stoop to do. I am not trying to make you NOT want the position, I am just trying to tell you the facts.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:38 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• You have to be caring, and have a high tolerance for bodily functions.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:41 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Patience and a strong stomach
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 4:23 PM on Apr. 10, 2011