Stage 4 lung cancer life expectancy?

I was wondering if any of your family members have had this and how long they lived. My dad was just diagnosed with this. I'm trying to make plans to go out there, but there are so many trips I can take, financially. We are across the country. He is with my mom and sisters. I read somewhere between 2-8 months. Has anyone gone past that? Or not? My mom is devastated, just talks about going with him when he dies. I need to go, but is now the absolute right time. Should I save up for when things get worse, although I don't know how it can at this point, but ya..just wondering

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Health

• People go past life expectancy all the time. By years even. No one really knows how long he will get. It greatly depends on how it is effecting him, and if he will even TRY medical interventions like Chemo or Radiation. Those could lengthen or greatly shorten his time left. Your definitely going to need to go see him before he is bed ridden and incoherent. Trust me, you will cherish that time in the future. He's still alive and active and alert right now. Spend time with him now, soon things will be way different and you may not want to see him taking his last breath. Im sorry your going through this. Its never easy to loose a parent.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:43 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Here are some survivor stories from the American Cancer Society.

http://csn.cancer.org/node/156831
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• they are stage 4 lung cancer as well.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:48 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I have felt I needed to go now, but unfortunately I can't right now. I'm making plans for next Friday, my husband will try and take an emergency leave for a few days and kids have FCAT for school this week. Thank you for the info. I need to see him when he is awake and alert. I'm sure he will do some kind of Chemo treatments. They live 3o minutes away from City of Hope just north of Los Angeles. I saw my father in law go through and pass on from stage 3 lung cancer..never smoked a day in his life..the chemo seemed to hurt him more. He did the trial route. I don't think they've made any decisions yet, they are still doing tests to see if it has spread anywhere else in his body. I sincerely hope not
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I would go as soon as you can while he is still feeling well & can spend quality time with you. My Aunt had it & it progressed very fast & she litterally could not talk since she had a hard time breathing & was in a lot pain. That is what I would do. I wish the very best for him & your Mom.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:56 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• My grandmother was just diagnosed with stage 3 and they have only given her a year with treatment.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 2:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Thanks ladies..I hope friday gets here quick!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:23 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I had an aunt who was told this (stage 4 lung cancer). She lived 2 weeks after that diagnosis, but she had been quietly suffering for months, without telling anyone. By the time we got her to a doctor, there was nothing they could do for her, except try to make her comfortable.

Be sure, where ever your dad is being cared for, that he is not in pain. You and your family are in my prayers.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 4:43 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I don't know but I'm sorry to hear that:(
    ceciliam

Answer by ceciliam at 4:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• My MIL died a year ago this past Jan. from stage 4. She found out the previous April and Passed in Jan. She did all the chemo and radiation but in the end cancer won.
    cadlecr4

Answer by cadlecr4 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 9, 2011