My son slams his head o nthe ground help

my son is 22 months old and he slams his head on the ground floor or anywhere. I scared that he is going to hurt himself. I tryed everything like ignoring it, spraying him with a spray bottle, time out, loving on him while he is screaming and telling him no kids don't act like that. Nothing is working, it does not matter where he is when he does it. he don't like the word no. There was times where he had a bump on his head from hitting the floor or whatever. He is a handfull when he has a fit. Let me know what yall did that worked if yall had this problem. Please help!

cjmama2007

Asked by cjmama2007 at 9:49 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son did this when he was about that age and I just ignored it. That is really all you can do. If he sees you not giving it any attention and it's not getting him his way he will eventually stop. He will realize hurting himself for nothing is not worth it. Hope that helps.
    soon2bemomof307

Answer by soon2bemomof307 at 9:52 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I guess the biggest pc of advice would be consistancy. When you tried letting him do it and walking away - does he continue ? How long do you try a method before trying a new one? IDK my son is only 13 months old but I have already figured out with his stubborn nature and tantrums that I cannot give an inch with him - if I give in 1 time it makes the next time 40 times worse.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 9:53 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• the funny thing is my oldest brother used to do that. He would hit his head on anything and everything when he didn't get his own way. well my parents had a brick fireplace that the bricks/rocks were real rigid and weren't even... well my brother decided to hit his head on that fireplace and my mom said he had a goose egg an inch off his head and he never did it again. I guess he'll just have to grow out of it!
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:59 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• My son went through a lot of emotional tramatic events around 18 months of age. He started hitting his head on the floor, wall, and anything near. There really was not anything i could do, because he just had to work his way through it on his own. I just had to make sure he felt safe and secure, and watch for the signs. He got mad one day and I did not even realize it and he pitched his head forward at the top of our outside stairs and fell down the 3 stairs and smashed his head on the cement. I took him to the store and let him pick out a bicycle helmet that he liked and also made sure it fitted his head. From then on, he wore it every time we were outside around cement or concrete, and if we were near something that he could really hurt himself if he hit his head on it. He eventually grew out of this stage, and learned to vent his feelings in other ways. Good Luck!!!
    boy_or_girl

Answer by boy_or_girl at 10:27 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I have an 18 month old son who does it for no reason. He bangs his head into the wall and coffee table. I know it's nerve wrecking when they do it. You don't want anyone to think you hurt you child. I am guessing it' s just a stage and a little boy thing. My daughter never did that.
    Mommie2kye_kc

Answer by Mommie2kye_kc at 12:43 PM on Dec. 1, 2008