Do you think your SO is a bad parent?

Sometimes I think my husband is a bad dad when he says certain things, yells at the kids for no reason etc... I know I am not perfect and I make mistakes too but sometimes he gets so mad at the kids for such little things. Our relationship is good, we have our ups and downs like any other couple but things are great until he is one of his moods and we all get whatever he is upset about taken out on us. When he is like this I am afraid that I chose the wrong person to be the father of my children. And I fear my kids will grow up and ask me why I let their Dad speak to them that way. Does that makes sense? Does anyone else feel this way? Am I ridiculous to feel this way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Relationships

• Sometimes yes.. Same can be said about me too.. We live and learn.. Parenting is hard and we do fall short at times. Thing is to learn from those mistakes and keep moving on :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• His anger needs to be put in check.. Stress can make a person do things they normally wouldn't KWIM... Have you talked to him about it ??
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:07 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• He is not a bad parent but not the best. He yells at the kids a lot (as do I) but I let him do whatever because it seems to work. He can have fun with the kids (such as a game of monopoly or baseball) because they listen to him. I can't manage to control them no matter what we are doing.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 2:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• My husband is VERY neglectful of our kids. If the TV is on, or he's reading the rare book, or he's playing a video game NONE of us exist. I have literally sat and watched our kids try for over 5 minutes to get his attention, only to get snapped at. Our daughter will have almost nothing to do with him if she's in any kind of bad mood. OR, if they DO get his attention it takes forever for him to do what they've asked.

And the kicker of it: he's clueless about WHY the kids want me over him.
    Anonymous

• I dont think anyone is perfect. My ex's are both shitty fathers so now being remarried to someone ten times better I tend to let the small things slide. My husband tends to get wrapped up in what he is doing and I have to remind him to make time for the kids. Other than that I cant complain.

Answer by gemgem at 2:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• my dh can't figure out why my older girls have no respect for him and why our son never asks for him when he is gone ice fishing for days on end. I try to explain to him that he needs to act like a family man and be a dad but he doesn't get it he just sits there and sulks, cracks another beer and watches another show
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 2:34 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I am GLAD my DH has a completely different parenting style than I do. My DS needs the softness of Mommy, and the manliness of Daddy. It's what gives them (children) balance and causes them to be well rounded. Does he do things the way I would do them? No, but that's ok, he does things with our DS that couldn't dream of teaching him i.e. you want a WHAT kind of wrench? Our son gets the best of both of us (and the worst), but it's how he will learn to navigate the world in a healthy way, or maybe at least how NOT to behave. :-)
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 3:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• my daughters father is a bad dad. i could make a list of all the reasons why but i'll just say he's selfish! its why we arent together anymore.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:11 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• i think my dh is a great father my only complaint is he wont change diapers and it seems like i do everything for the kids most the time.. but as for yelling he doesnt do that which im thankful for but he could change a damn diaper
    kimsmith22

Answer by kimsmith22 at 3:11 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• My SO is not my children's father, and he has no children of his own. But he does help me raise my kids, and no, I don't think he is a bad parent. He does sometimes do or say things I don't agree with, but he is not abusive or neglectful. He is a bit more strict with them than I am, and a little harder on them in terms of expectations, but when I get annoyed by it, I remind myself that I am a woman and I raised them alone for a long time and so what I think is harsh is likely just me having trouble letting go and accepting that it's not all my decisions anymore.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 5:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2011