Do you leave Food/Gifts on top of Headstones for the Spirits at rest there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• My friends little boy died of cancer when he was 7. He left a twin sister behind. I remember going to his funeral. When I'm in CA and I'm in the area, I have left a paper airplane, or a little car. Not sure why though. Just wanted to. He was a great kid.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:02 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Why would a spirit need food?
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 2:03 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Actually, there are several religions throughout history that packed food, and toys, and things that were precious to the person in life to help them in the afterlife. It was symbolic.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:06 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Several years ago I stopped by my grandmothers grave on her birthday. On my way there, I stopped and picked up her favorite candy bar. I unwrapped it and put it on her grave. My one aunt stopped by after me and later called my mother to say that someone had put a candy bar on the grave. My mother called me and asked me if it was there when I got there. I told her that I was the one to put it there. When she asked me why, I stated "Let's be realistic, would Grandma prefer flowers or the candy?" My mom laughed and agreed.

It's nice to think that she is looking down on us and smiling at the thoughtful things we leave there for her.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• No I never have. My mom said before she died to not even waste money on flowers. But I do. Be it gifts or flowers, photos or notes, the only thing it does is make the survivors feel better. The person in the grave isn't aware of what's on the headstone.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 2:26 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Why would a spirit need food?

Why would they need flowers? Flowers are left all the time. It's about remembering & revering the dead, not what they "need".
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 2:41 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Nah, I have a hard enough time remembering gifts for people who are breathing
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 5:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Why would they need flowers? Flowers are left all the time. It's about remembering & revering the dead, not what they "need".

That's not what the question was about, as I understood, she was asking about leaving food and gifts for spirits, not remembering or revering those who have passed...
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 5:56 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

That's EXACTLY what the question is about, gifts for the dead are gifts for the dead. It's ALL the same: flowers, food, sentimental items, candles, etc. If people didn't rememeber & revere the dead, they wouldn't leave those things, ANY of those things.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 8:29 AM on Apr. 10, 2011