Non-Prudish mommas only please.

What is the best way to teach a 3 year old girl how to pee outside? She has done this twice this week because he brother does and she is trying to pee standing! Obviously this is not working but I'm not sure how to teacher her. The squat method leaves you having to move clothing out of the 'splash zone' Any other suggestions? We have a very large wooded lot and knows we do not pee where people can see us. This has never happend in public with either child. They know better than that.

Disclaimer: Please, I am not interested in whether or not you think it is right or wrong or whatever. If you would like to express you opinions on the subject rather than give advice then I suggest you open you own thread. Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Squatting was the way to go in our family. They do have little portable pee jars for little girls if that is an option.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:23 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• You got me! Lol my DD had to pee so bad one time and we couldn't get her to a bathroom and we had no other choice. She peed all over her pants. Here's a bump hopefully other mamas can help you out with this question :)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 2:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I wish I could help you. I've tried every method I could think of and the ONLY thing that worked for me was totally remove my pants and underwear so as not to pee all over them. I'll give you a bump though.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 2:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• maybe keep a small old bucket in the wooden area to help her squat better to avoid getting it on clothes.

You just have to be careful that she realizes that that is the only appropriate place. When my son was that age during a road trip with no place in site we let my son go on the side of the road, after that he felt it was okay to whip it out anywhere to pee. When he was 4 and in pre-k, some of the moms were sitting at a table by the playground after class while we let our kids play....my son tried to take it out and pee right there in front of us. LOL. He's 6 and still thinks if he goes to the side of the house that's okay
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• If she's wearing a skirt it would be easy to stand on something (a rock or a log) and squat down a bit.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 2:27 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I was thinking of the skirt thing too.. When I was a kid and too lazy to come out of the woods to go potty (or just couldn't wait long enough to get all the way home) I would pull my pants down just enough and sit on a log with my butt hanging over the other end to pee. My pants or shorts protected my legs from anything that might be on the log and my clothes were well protected from the splash zone.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 2:31 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• lol I've always squatted.. but I suppose she could pee on her knees as well.. I'm not really sure other than that.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 2:32 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Ha! I've never been able to master this art without peeing all over myself. Good luck!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:39 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• My DD squats. I am sorry don't know any other way. She has had to do this on road trips.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 2:39 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Ok, this may sound weird, but if you sort of pull up on your urethra then you can kind of aim and get very little on your clothes.
    KateShesGreat3

Answer by KateShesGreat3 at 2:40 PM on Apr. 9, 2011