What to say

If you are leaving your job for personal reasons, what do you put in your resignnation letter? Do you say for personal reasons? Will they ask?
Does it make it look bad when searching for another job?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Money & Work

• In that case, I would just leave the reason out of the letter. Just keep it formal . .

This letter serves as my resignation, effective 5/14/11. Thank you very much for the opportunity to work for your company. I am greatly appreciative.

Sincerely,
    Anon

During a 1 to 1 with your immediate supervisor, you can choose to reveal the personal reasons, but your record will remain professional.

I hope that helps. You have much more chance at empathy during a verbal 1 to 1.

Good luck.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:01 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• i agree with imaginationmama
    but if you feel the need to fit in the reason do it swiftly but professionally. Example: (if you are leaving because you don't get along with a manager and notice issues with them that you refuse to tolerate any longer) if the situation was the manager not allowing you room for advancement because of issues or something lik ethat you could simply put there was no longer room for growth in the company. You leave the personal issues of the fight out of it, but are truthful about what it create and reasons why you can no longer remain.
    if it's family at home issues it could be reasons like lack of benefits as your reasoning.. (benefits like FMLA or other like benefits).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:17 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• If I was not coming back I would just give two weeks notice
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 4:19 PM on Apr. 10, 2011