The swith to whole milk?

My son is 10 months old and shows no interest in his formula bottles-I want to try him with a sippy of whole milk but is he still too young?! When did you start your little one on whole milk? I have a two year old also but I cant seem to remember when I did the switch for her.... thank you!

v_serenil

Asked by v_serenil at 3:09 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 10 months isn't too young to start him on whole milk. I would go for it. It will make things easier in the long run.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 3:16 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• They say no milk until 1 year. I started right after 11 months with my 4th, but waited until a year with my first 3. Ask your ped. But you could always do formula in a sippy and see if he's more willing to take it that way.

Answer by missanc at 3:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• They say that soy milk is a little easier on their stomach, so with my oldest I went from formula, to soy milk at 10 months, then onto whole milk between 11-12 months. I also know quite a few people who went straight to whole milk around 10 months for whatever reason and their kids never had a problem. It should be ok :)
    Missalissa86

Answer by Missalissa86 at 4:10 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• they say a year for whole milk! but its up to u!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 4:13 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• He is too young. At this age, he still needs the nutrients and calories that are in formula (or breast milk).
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:42 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I started at about 11 months. They suggest 1 year. I wonder if you could maybe you could mix a little milk with the formula (totally not sure if thats a good thing or not, just a thought)
    melissanovak

Answer by melissanovak at 7:30 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• "I didnt give my kids milk till they were a year. But i just googled it and on babycenter.com it says
    The American Academy of Pediatrics advises waiting
    until your child is at least 1 year old before giving him cows' milk. After that, if your baby is having a hard time switching from formula to whole milk, try taking a gradual approach: Over a period of time, add a little whole milk to the prepared formula, slowly increasing the proportion of milk to formula until your baby completely switches to whole milk. (Most pediatricians recommend using whole milk until your toddler is at least 2 years old, since the butterfat in whole milk helps him grow and develop. After that, the AAP recommends using milk with less fat.) If you're thinking about making the switch from formula to whole milk, consult with your family's pediatrician or healthcare provider first."

But maybe ask your peds dr about soy? "This just says cows milk"
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 7:59 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Ok thank yall so much for the advice and thoughts!!! I love cafe mom! ;)
    v_serenil

Comment by v_serenil (original poster) at 9:59 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• DO NOT start him on whole milk I started my daughter on 2% milk thats way too much fat for his tiny stomach to take he will reject it. Start off with a couple oz. s of 2% like 4 oz. let him get a taste and see how he reacts if he's fine increase the amount of 2% to a full 8 oz. bottle when he starts to take that well then you switch him to whole milk. That is what I did atleast that is what my mother told me to do and obviously she is older and knows more so I listened and it went well. Try it.
    Kaleena8108

Answer by Kaleena8108 at 10:27 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Good Luck talk to your ped but really I think all the guidelines are just that guidelines
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 2:28 AM on Apr. 10, 2011