How did you fight your way out of poverty and made a better life for yourself and your kids?

another poster mention that it will be good to say this so here it is. Instead of judging those that need help why not motivate them with your struggle? how did you do it? maybe we can help someone out there find a way.

ny.chica

Asked by ny.chica at 10:00 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I talked to a financial adviser. So many people think they can't have a budget, when that is VITAL to finally getting out of debt. Maybe it will take years, but it keeps your goals in mind. Each year, meet with them again, or different ones. I took some of my tax return money and put it into interest bearing CD's rather than paying off all bills with it -- now I get a small amount of money into my checking account each month that pays for at least one bill, even if it's small!
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:41 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I married into money. My DH is rich.

Anonymous

• The above poster is obviously a welfare mama just trying to start drama over here! ~rolls eyes~
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I havn't still working on it
    Anonymous

• I worked REALLY hard. Put myself through college and worked nights on campus. I realized that in order to have a secure job in tough times you need skills that are desireable. I did this all for my future and family. I wanted a good paying job and I empowered myself to get one. I waited to have kids until my future and finances were secure.

For those struggling with kids, my college had apts on campus specifically for families. Playground and all. There are tons of options, people just need to look.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 10:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• that's awsome thunder I didn't realize colleges housed families. so which colleges? and are these family apartments part of financial aid programs or what? I went to college before and after i had children bu my school didn't have those. If you have the info maybe someone can benefit from it. I know a person who major in Criminal Justice (like me) and she lost her job do to budget cuts. In Fl there is a hiring freeze and she has not being able to find work eventhough she went to school before she had kids. I'm lucky to have my husband but she isn't and recently started getting assistance. some careers are just not recession proof
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 10:39 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• thats good advice KnoxvilleDoula. thanks
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 10:46 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• That is really good advice KnoxvilleDoula. You don't make any interest on paying off a bill.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:49 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Went to technical school, junior college, college.. and got experience in multiple areas... medical assisting, legal secretary, business degree while being a single mom I did the legal secretary in junior college, worked for a law professor and then got a full-time job when I completed the program. Worked several years, went back to school, while working full-time and raising my son.. better education equals better job. Sorry... I realize times are hard right now and jobs are being cut... but before times got hard.. I never could understand ppl who chose not to work.
    Anonymous

• cont. I look in the newspapers and there are jobs out there. You get up early in the morning, if you don't have a car you take the bus, you put in applications etc. If you have no job skills at all.... don't even know how to clean a motel room.. then go get training for something.. A job is not going to come and knock on your door while you're watching tv. If you're a single mom.. there are lots of programs to put your child in while you search for work or go to school. If you are an able bodied adult there is no excuse to not work... until you find a job or go to school... looking for a job is your full-time job.
    Anonymous