Do you think ADHD meds are helpful or harmful?

Alot of contriversy about this .My son has adhd and wanted to see others views about it

Brandy928

Asked by Brandy928 at 3:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Kids' Health

• They can be helpful for some children. I spent a lot of years trying other things with my daughter before I finally agreed to let her try medication. Her psychiatrist asked me to think about what not medicating was doing to my daughter. She was at the point she was giving up on even trying because she could never seem to quite complete anything, and this was damaging her self-concept. The medication has allowed her to concentrate and follow through with projects without getting sidetracked. Successfully completing projects has boosted her self-esteem, and she's started trying new things.  I don't regret giving meds a try, but I do regret putting it off for so long.  I think her elementary school years would have been much better if I hadn't been so stubborn.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Completely agree with tweenandtwinmom.. They can be very helpful. The flip side is one med that works great for this child may not work for the next. So there is some trial and error with the meds and dosage.. My son did not do well one one but excelled on another one..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:14 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• That's a good question. I think they can be helpful but they can also be harmful. I have to figure that out myself to determine if i should use any of them for my son.
    AnitaB27

Answer by AnitaB27 at 3:58 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• For a high majority of cases where a child has been properly professionally diagnosed, medication can be helpful IF used as part of a integrated treatment plan that also teaches skills and looks at organisation and the child's environment.
    Clairwil

Answer by Clairwil at 3:58 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I don't think medication for ADHD is ever a black and white thing. While I believe medication for ANY condition of this sort should be a last option, I don't believe it should ever be completely off the table. Dietary and Homeopathic options should be explored first along with non-medicative therapies or activity programs. HOWEVER, in the event that these options are ineffective or not effective enough, I don't see an issue with medication. In the end treatment should be about what is best for the child AND the family. Medication may help to control things today but can carry a heavy toll later on in life, which obviously isn't the best option for the child if there are other things available. BUT allowing a child to go untreated simply to keep them off meds shouldn't be an option either. I say, if you're afraid non-med programs won't work, do both. The meds can work short term, but the lifestyle will last forever.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:58 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• They can be very helpful when use in conjunction with therapy. Drugs are not cure all any responsible Dr would recommend some sort of cognitive behavioral therapy to help deal with the true issues. My understanding is that when done early there is a good chance of removing the drugs from the equation.

Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 3:59 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Medication won't cure ADHD. It alleviates the primary symptoms, while used, which gives a breathing space where the secondary symptoms such as poor organisational skills can be tackled.
    Clairwil

Answer by Clairwil at 4:00 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Sabrina wrote:

While I believe medication for ANY condition of this sort should be a last option, I don't believe it should ever be completely off the table. Dietary and Homeopathic options should be explored first along with non-medicative therapies or activity programs.

Homeopathic remedies are no more effective than placebos.

Saying that medication should be the last resort is like saying the glasses should be the last resort for shortsightedness because a child could survive just sitting really close to the blackboard and squinting lots.

Clairwil

Answer by Clairwil at 4:03 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Very helpful for my son. The key is finding the right one.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:58 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• That depends on what you think ADHD is ... even the "experts" can't agree on whether ADHD is a neurological condition or a biological one. Even if it could be definitively proven that it is a neurological condition, all the research I have done into the subject still does not convince me that ADHD is a chemical imbalance that can be "fixed" with psychotropic medication. If you scrutinize the studies, it has NOT been proven that these meds are normalizing agents. I have read study after study, I have studied the history of how ADHD and the meds associated with it have brought us to today where it is more commonplace, and I have studied the science/medical effects of short-term and long-term use of these meds. I believe in treating root causes, not symptoms. Many swear by the meds but I never saw them as a viable option. I was able to rid my son of his diagnosis using a biomedical approach.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 5:32 PM on Apr. 9, 2011