How much would you charge?

So I have a girl who would like me to watch her twin three year old boys plus a six month old baby girl and I usually charge 20.00 a day (or 100.00 a week) whatever works for the family but I don't know how to discount for her since it is THREE small children. I told her I would be willing to negotiate with her about how much but she is still not getting back to me. It would be 16 hours a week in Iowa. I don't think she will find anyone else cheaper then me who will work as hard as I do for children, maybe that is my problem....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• you providing meals? if so maybe like 150 to 200. i suggest calling some centers and seeing what they charge, try to go lower then that and when you negotiate let her know what others charge and she will see how great a deal it is. good luck
    AnitaB27

Answer by AnitaB27 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I originally said 10.00 a child or thirty dollars a day or 150.00 a week, which I think is incredibly fair. To be honest with you, she has done this before and then the last time the day of the interview an hour before, she fb me and cancelled. I am willing to work with her, I think that is the thing that is most irritating, just work with me and I bet I can give you a better rate, otherwise I am about to just hang it up and say "Sorry, I won't help you because I think you are flaky!" UGH....sorry for the vent....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Yes, I do provide meals and snacks, a cozy place to nap and a fun place to play, plus we have zoo passes and a great park (school play ground) just across the street. Her daughter's school is just across the street as well...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:15 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Centers around here charge 170 a week for infants and 140 a week for toddlers, meals included. There is usually a sibling discount of 10% off of each additional child. so in a regular center is would be 262 dollars a week. I think 150 is extremely generous of you!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:17 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• $175 a week for 3 kid's is VERY fair if you ask me.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:25 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Depends on what they do for a living and what they can afford. I would say $150 a week but that's me
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 4:32 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• That's the thing Alotleft, I am willing to work it out with her because I know how hard things are for people right now....she's got to tell me if that would work or not though....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:37 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Yes 150 is extremely generous. My last sitter charged $50 per child per week. Meals and activities provided.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:37 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I think 150-175 is completely reasonable based on what centers cost near you. Prices for centers vary greatly from city to city so what's reasonable by me may be a rip off compared to what's reasonable near you. But as a starting point 150-175 sounds fair to me
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 4:39 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• When my son was 2 I had him in a childcare facility on campus. THAT was $600/month WITH a student discount. The public had to pay $800/month. And that was for just one child.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:40 PM on Apr. 9, 2011