Do you think its ok to spank a kid

Some say yes some say no, what do you say

Brandy928

Asked by Brandy928 at 4:01 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm the group own of Moms who Spank, so yes I do. But I have rules for its use. Such as taking into consideration the child's age. (Not under two or over approx. 15). I ask myself if there are other ways I can handle this better? I generally use spanking as my last resort. Unless its something they did that endanger their lives or someone else's. Example : Finger in light socket or hands on stove.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:34 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I say yes. As long as it is a smack on the hand or the butt and it is not done out of frustration or anger then I think it is a very acceptable form of discipline. I try not to spank if I don't have to, but sometimes serious issues deserve serious punishment. (running into the road, steeling candy, biting, etc)
    Missalissa86

Answer by Missalissa86 at 4:04 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Spanking works for some kids and doesn't for others. For DS it doesn't work. For DD is does, though we don't use it often. As long as it is being done after everyone is calm, it is a quick swat or two and not a 'beating' and the child is aware it is a correction and not a angry retaliation then it is fine.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:07 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• No one is talking about spanking a child because he/she was late in doing something. I think most here have expressed their believe that it should be as a last resort and/or for reasons that cannot be dealt with by other methods.

What happens when you get down on their level. You have your talk about what they should do/why its important to not hit Timmy upside the head? Then turns around says NO I don't have to and hits Timmy anyway? No amount of talk demands authority and respect. Spanking demands the child's obedience. Children are NOT the rulers of the household. Parents are. Sometimes no amount of talking is going to make a willful child behave.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:02 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• As a very last resort and if all other ways of discipline were not working.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:03 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I say yes and I see no problem with either single swats or an over the knee bare butt style. Whatever works for the family. As long as its done with love and not done while the spanker is angry. I also believe it should only be used pretty rarely because the more its used the less effective it becomes.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 5:19 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I agree with missa, as a last resort and only the hand or butt. however when he bites , which is not often, he gets bitten back..i assume thats why it rarely happens any more, lol
    AydensMommy1109

Answer by AydensMommy1109 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• A rare wack on the backside to let them know your serious when they think they can continue to be unruley is fine
    but a good solid over the knee spanking with the bare butt and a strong hand over and over, is not necessary
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 4:30 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I say yes as long as it is no more then 3 swats and not done out of anger.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 7:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Midnight what your talking about IMO is abuse. Not proper spanking. There is a huge difference.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 3:22 AM on Apr. 10, 2011