Do you think prayer should be allowed in school?

We prayed when I was in school and it was never a problem.

Brandy928

Asked by Brandy928 at 4:05 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• yes, but I don't believe that it should be school lead prayer. Maybe just a 10 minute time in the morning for each student to pray to whomever they worship.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• You can pray in schools. What was removed was faculty lead prayer. Why don't people understand that???

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:21 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• No one can stop you if you really want to say a prayer. You can even do it silently and/or privately. But something that is school lead and sanctioned, no.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 4:27 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• It IS allowed. It's impossible not to allow it! And if you're in a private school, I don't even see a problem with School Lead Prayer. But as far as MY children go, NO, I don't want them in a school where someone is leading prayers. Should they choose to take it upon themselves to pray - great! Should your child take it upon him or her self to pray, go for it. But should a public school with any number of different belief systems be praying over a loud speaker or something similar? NO! I wouldn't even have an issue with a moment of silence to allow for private prayer or meditation or reflection, but it should be left up to the students what, if anything, they do with that moment...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:43 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• If its a religious school, yes of course. I don't think that it should be forced in public school though. If the parents believe that strongly than they need to cough up the money to send their child to a school based on their religion
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 4:50 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Prayer IS allowed in school - students are allowed to pray as much as they like. What is NOT allowed is teachers or faculty initiating or instructing prayer, and I agree with not allowing that, since I don't believe persons in positions of authority, especially over many students who may not all hold the same beliefs, should be discussing their personal beliefs with their students, or calling for students to pray at all, when there are those who may not believe in praying, or in praying the same way or to the same perception of God... School should not endorse belief or a kind of belief. So the way it is is the way I believe it should be - students free to pray when they please, but the schools and staff unable to use their positions of authority to push their perceptions or beliefs onto their students.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Prayer IS ALLOWED in school. Teacher led prayer? no. Personal prayer, said between oneself and whoever they pray too? It's already allowed.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:14 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• yes byt choice, but not every child should be expected to pray.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:11 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• yes, as others said, by choice though from each student/faculty.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 4:20 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• When I was growing up we prayed in school, but back then EVERYONE was a Christian in school. Today America is much more diverse and Christian prayer or Jewish, or Muslim prayer would offend someone Im sure. How do you make it so no one religion is offended by it? It's better without it in school today I think.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:24 PM on Apr. 9, 2011