How do I get my 22 month old DS to stop biting people?

I have tried time outs & where you load the attention on the "victim" instead of him, when it happens. He only bites people in our house (DH, 2 brothers, 3 sisters & me) Thanks in advance :)

wyldflowrr_6

Asked by wyldflowrr_6 at 4:11 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• bite him back
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• bite him back
    Anonymous

• Again, I say bite him back! It totally worked for my son. He bite my shoulder when I was holding him. I bite him back and never again did he bite. Obviously, you don't bite him super hard, but you bite him hard enough to let him know it hurts. Every time he bites someone, bite him back. He will get the idea. When my son pulled my hair for the first time, I pulled his back as well. Obviously not hard, but enough to let him know that it hurts. He never did it again.
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 4:41 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• You can also be super diligent and watch what provokes him to bite. Anticipate and catch him just before doing it and tell him no biting. Be stern and matter of fact. Make sure he is getting the positive attention he needs too. Sometimes they go for the negative attention when they do not get enough positive attention.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:51 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Time outs won't work with a little one like that. Just teach him to stop biting by telling him to stop biting. NO BITING is easy enough to keep saying until he understands. Little ones like that have oral fixations. They taste everything. It's normal. They don't know they are not supposed to bite and taste people. Teach him.
    Anonymous

• Bite him back.... Luckly my daughter hasn't been in that stage and she is almost 2 1/2 years old. Hope you get him to stop biting and out of the biting stage.
    acruz86

Answer by acruz86 at 7:58 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• My oldest son had that problem. My uncle told me to gently push on the bottom of his nostril, it took a few times but it worked.
    kaedrasgma

Answer by kaedrasgma at 8:01 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Bite him back! And if he continues to do it bite harder each time. Now I wouldn't tell your other kids that they should bite him. They should tell you and you should bite him. We don't want to break the skin.
    fulltimom3

Answer by fulltimom3 at 10:50 AM on Apr. 10, 2011