Topsy Turvy

Anyone ever use the topsy turvy tomato or strawberry planters?

KamiB79

Asked by KamiB79 at 4:12 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I have a strawberry one and really like it. I tried the tomato one but it split down the side the first time I watered it.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 4:14 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I almost purchased one of those tomatoe ones today, but thought I would first ask about them on Answers.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:15 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• we got one and my bil got 3 of them and the tomatoes rotted on ours and his and the strawberries on his fell off before he could pick them. I would do it again...plus they are a pain to set up
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 4:20 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• We got 5 gallon plastic pickle buckets from a local fast food place and cut C's in the sides and made our own Topsy turvy's. My older sister bought the actual ones and said they fell apart on her and she got buckets and made her own. She grows all her veggies in them not just tomatoes. She grows cucumbers, peppers, beans, strawberry's. She had her hubby build her Giant T bars and she just hangs em all. She also says the deer dont get them that way either.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:22 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I grow vegetables in buckets and wooden boxes. The problem with the topsy turvy is that the tomato plants want to curl towards the sun and with an inverted planter the tomatoes and strawberries get heavy. We tried using the knock off version called the upsy downsy and by the the time we were ready to put the tomato plants in the planter, we decided to just use a bucket. Good thing because they were big red tomatoes. They would have not made it without support.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:30 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• We don't use one of those, but we do grow our tomatoes upside down. We have a table like appartatus that has holes in the bottom. We place the tomatoes down through the holes with their roots in the table part, fill it with soil and water it. We have gotten tons of tomatoes growing them this way as opposed to planting them in the ground.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:38 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Nope
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 9:25 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I want one!
    JHanc968

Answer by JHanc968 at 9:58 PM on Apr. 16, 2011

• i did last year and it was not that great
    mommyof3-2008

Answer by mommyof3-2008 at 9:32 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• no
    Kainalu55

Answer by Kainalu55 at 6:05 AM on Apr. 20, 2011