how to deal with a 6 yr old boy with adhd?

My son just turned 6. He is in the first grade. He is way smarter than he should be and way sweeter than most. He was just diagnosed with A.D.H.D. and he is taking adderol (a small dose) and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt work. He is really hyper and whiney and he is starting to act meaner and angrier but in school (where the most structure is) he is doing better with his behaviour. I work full time and my husband is at home and is not the "structured" type. what can i do to try to help my son (and my family) deal with this?

mizzgarcia_1010

Asked by mizzgarcia_1010 at 10:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• get your selves some family councling, it will help you ALL (including dad) know what to do and how to handle things. It will put you all on the same page and make your husband accountible to a proffesional for his lack of help or for the amount of help he gies by fallowing through.

After all it's all about making it easier for your son, not dad.

good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• you should check in your town and see if they have any programs for adhd kids .my towns has a couple programs
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 2:45 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• What does he do for extracurricular activities? People are so quick to blame ADHD, maybe these kids are just bored. A teacher tried to tell me my now 14 yr old, when he was 6 because he wasn't focusing in school that he was ADHD, I made him join hockey he's fine, he just gets bored really easily, try stimulating him before you sedate him with drugs, not trying to be mean I was in your shoes.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 3:42 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• You're not "sedating" your child with drugs if he needs it to stay focused during the day. But there are a lot of things that can mimic the signs of ADHD so make sure that you‘ve had a thorough evaluation & are working with a psychiatrist (not just your pediatrician) that will listen to you & help you make informed decisions about your child. Adderall might not be the solution for him. We had to try a few (including adderall) before we found something that helped my son focus in class w/o some of the other side effects that you can get with stims. There are a lot of places online (including here) for parents with ADHD kids to go for advice. It is a constant education process for sure. It is frustrating if you don’t feel your dh is supporting you so maybe ask him for his ideas & implement 1 or 2 at home so that he knows you value his input in this too. You’re not alone here I promise. :) Hope this helps.
    gdaymom

Answer by gdaymom at 2:19 PM on Dec. 3, 2008