Do you call a c-section birth?

I've been bashed so many times by the Mom's that say I've never been through "birth" and I'm just wondering if the tables were turned if they would react that way. Mine was an emergency to save my baby and I feel it's birth regardless. I mean, natural birth is great if you can do it but a c-section is no picnic, we go through a lot for our babies too!
What do you call a c-section?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I had a surgery, but my daughter was born. Birth is the event of a baby leaving the mother. The word does not require "via the vagina", that's just the common route - not the only one.
    redlily08

Answer by redlily08 at 11:06 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• BIRTH!!!! The baby is still be born and coming out to join the world. WHAT ELSE WOULD YOU CALL IT? Some people have one track minds. LOL
    racingmomma

Answer by racingmomma at 10:15 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• its still birth. just because the baby didnt come out of ur vagina doesnt mean u didnt have a birth. u still had to bake the baby for 9 months, and its still ur child. plus there is also a lot of pain and recovery with a csection its not like an easy way out
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 10:16 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• The large scar across my abdomen reminds me daily of my "births".
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 10:18 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I can see how people can say a c section is not birth. Natural birth is going through the labor pains and pusing it out. But it is birth. You are giving birth to a baby. wether it be from a dr pulling it from your body or you pushing it out. Some poeple can say having a epidural and having the dr use a vaccum is not birth. Some people just want to stroke their egos. Dont listen. You can always ask if they had an epi and say well you didnt actually experience the birth.
    duckey060504

Answer by duckey060504 at 10:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Yeah- well, they might have pushed it out with an epi numbing the pain but I know for sure I had enough pain as a reminder of my C-sections... I'm glad other people see it as stupid when they say it's not birth
    Anonymous

• I call mine surgery. I wish they had been birth but in my mind, they were not. I've had 2.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Ihave a scar frome my 2 births and I will be re opening that scar next month to have another. But I went throught labor pains I didnt just have a c-sec nor was it decided quickly that is was nessecary to have a c-sec I went through 90+ hours of hard labor between my kids with no meds trying to have them natural. So all you people who think that having a c-sec isnt birth. Why dont you try to go through all that then go through weeks of not being able to move right or for some not even being able to pick up their baby or young children for weeks because you could open your scar. When you have to tell your 18m old little boy that you cant pick him up when he is crying for you then you can tell me I didnt give birth to my kids. Not being able to be there like you should for your kids because of something you cant controll is the hardest thing to do.
    Sorry I went on a little rant dont even know if I made sence.
    Anonymous

• I say it is birth also, I have a scar to prove they were born, so, they still say "Time of Birth" on their "Birth Certificate". I had to wait 2wks before I could drive, and most have to spend at least 3 days in the hospital (if not, wow!) and you are more sore than those who have them vaginally. It is Birth no matter how many times you slice it, dice it, or reword it. The child was still "Born" so that means that you gave "Birth" to that child, even though we had a little help.
    sammyjnrtwins06

Answer by sammyjnrtwins06 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I have never been told that my c-section wasn't a birth, I think it's an ignorant statement to make to a mother. I had a vaginal with the first and a c-section with the second, I consider them both births because they both resulted in the "births" of my two wonderful boys!

hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 10:47 PM on Nov. 30, 2008