Where can I find more information on effects of drug addiction in infants?

My nephew is 20 months and was born addicted to crack and other drugs. He gets very violent when you tell him no to the point he harms himself. I dont want to use corporal punishment with him, and I dont want my brother to either we have our hands tied now because he is hitting other people. HELP!

monstersmom361

Asked by monstersmom361 at 4:38 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:42 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Google ""information on effects of drug addiction in infants?"" And you will get TONS of pages
    vbruno

• Thanks for your help!
    monstersmom361

Comment by monstersmom361 (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Kids who are born addicted to drugs often have difficulty regulating their emotions and impulses. It is very important not to use physical punishment, especially with these children (i.e. spanking) because it will escalate the situation. But, it sounds like you know this already . . . .
    The best thing for you to do would be to consult with a child specialist who can help you come up with an individualized protocol for helping him learn how to regulate. Do you have any counseling benefits? Does he (along with his health insurance?)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:53 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I have textbooks and lecture notes filled with the affects of drugs on babies and the LONGlasting affects that will affect them their entire lives. If there is a drug treatment center in your area, contact them. Contact a drug addiction prevention center, Also, a pediatrician should also have the information. Even a children's hospital.

But, I agree with the lady that said to NOT spank him, it will cause more issues. Remember that his behavior is NOT his fault and he will need a lot of patience and professional help to learn to deal with the problems he will have.

He can have anger issues, learning disabilities, breathing issues, among many others. Google is another source that will help you out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:57 PM on Apr. 9, 2011