Can someone give me the bible verse that says you must be married to have sex?

I just read a question where an anonymous poster answered that it is one of God's commandments that we must be married to have sex. Can anyone give me scripture to support this?

MrsHart6

Asked by MrsHart6 at 10:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• "But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion." [I Corinthians 7:9]
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Adultery is sexual sin with a married person that you're not married to. Fornication is sex outside of marriage. Hebrews 13:4 says, "Marriage should be honored by everyone, and husband and wife should keep their marriage pure. God will judge as guilty those who take part in sexual sins."
    1 Cor. 6:18.Run away from sexual sin! No other sin so clearly affects the body as this one does. For sexual immorality is a sin against your own body.

These are just some verses that speak of sexual sin.

bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 10:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Hebrews 13:4 "let marriage be honorable among all, and the marriage bed be without defilement, for god will judge fornicators and adulterers."

1 Thess 4:3-8 brings out that it is god’s will that you abstain from fornication...

Eph:5:5 brings out that no fornicator or unclean person or greedy person has any inheritance in god’s kingdom

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 also brings out that just because you have done it in the past must cease that way of life in order to have god’s approval
    Anonymous

• Fornication
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    Fornication, or simple fornication, is a term which typically refers to voluntary sexual intercourse between persons not married to each other. [1]

The origin of the word derives from Latin. The word fornix means "an archway" or "vault" (in Rome, prostitutes could be solicited there). More directly, fornicatio means "done in the archway"; thus a euphemism for prostitution.

Fornication is dealt with differently in various religions, societies and cultures
    Anonymous

• lol there ya go!
    Anonymous

• Romans 13:13 "Let us behave properly as in the day, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual promiscuity and sensuality, not in strife and jealousy." that's New American Standard
    Anonymous

• Southern the verse you quoted doesn't say you have to be married to have sex or speak about fornication, it says it is better to be married than to burn with desire.

Bonn, the verses you quote also don't speak about sex outside of marriage.

I really dislike anonymous posters, I can't address comments to individuals!!!!!!!! lol

Hebrews 13:4 does not speak of fornicators, only adulters and sexually immoral.

1 Thessalonians also doesn't speak of fornication, again only sexual immorality.

Ephesians and 1 Corinthians also doesn't speak of fornication, only sexually immoral.

Where in the bible does it list fornication as sexual immorality? Where does it say it is God's will that we wait until marriage to have sex? What translations are you guys using because the word fornicator is not in my bible in these verses (NIV version).
    MrsHart6

Answer by MrsHart6 at 11:50 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I want to add that I'm not quizzing people here to be sarcastic, I am a christian and I've always accepted that it was a sin to have sex outside of marriage but the more I read the bible, the more I can't find any verses that say this. My intention here is to find verses that say it's a sin to have sex before marriage or when not married.
    MrsHart6

Answer by MrsHart6 at 11:56 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I have read it in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. I cannot remember off the top of my head but it says that people shall remain pure and chaste until marriage. This is part in why they believe that the union between men and women is so holy. It is supposed to be clean and pure.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:33 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I have never seen any that specifically state sex before marriage is a sin. It is all in the interpretation of the passages. You have to also remember the bible was translated from various different languages and some words don't translate well and some words do translate but have different meaning from language to language. I know at least catholics believe that the translators of the bible did so in an infallible manner because god is infallible and they were translating the word of god. But if you read the Greek version (earlier translations) then the English and you speak both languages you would be able to see a difference. the English must be different from the original Aramaic form it was first written in. It may say in the Aramaic language original bible sex before marriage is a sin but by time it got to English it was only implied like the quoted verses above.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:14 AM on Dec. 1, 2008