Formula or milk?

My daughter is going on 9 months and although she is eating alot of solids she is also drinking alot of bottles. I have WIC but they only offer 8 cans a month now for her and she is drinking way more then that. I end up having to buy another 3-4 cans a month for her and it is getting to be very expensive.My bf lost his job so we are only living off from child support from my two boys and SSI for one of my boys. It is getting really tough. I have been told by my mother a few other people that as long as she is eating solids that she could probably drink some milk during the day ans save the formula for naptime/night time. My mother has giving her milk in her cups and she has loved it and has had no problems at all with it. Do you think it would be ok to giver her the milk during the day in between meals and sleep time to save on formula?

butterfly7909

Asked by butterfly7909 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's not really ideal... I would talk to your ped about the situation. They may be able to hook you up with samples or give you the okay.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I think you should discuss this idea with your pediatrician. They may give you the go ahead, or they may tell you to wait. It depends on more than just the fact that she is eating solids.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 5:47 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I would not recommend it. Until at least a year old they NEED the calories and nutrients that are in formula (or breast milk). If it comes to a point where you can seriously not afford formula, contact local food banks, churches, your pedi (often times they can give samples) and let WIC know your situation, I've heard that sometimes they have sample cans around too. Are you eligible for FS?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:49 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I would say no because i know my boys doctor was very strict about only formula and juice until they turned one. They said i needed to wait until their first birthday for milk and no sooner im not sure why but i hope things get better for you and this helps. Good luck and God Bless.
    19withtwins

Answer by 19withtwins at 5:50 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Talk to the pedicatrician. My son was on milk by 9 months old. I ran out of formula one month, had no WIC left, no money to buy formula but we had 2% milk. Called the doctor and was given the go ahead to give him milk. BEST decision I ever made and it saved me about $80 a month. You have to do what YOU feel is right for your child. Every child is different and can handle different things at different times, even earlier than what is RECOMMENDED.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:51 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• My almost 9mo is starting to drink milk. We did the same with all our kids but we weren't substituting it for formula. We only served it in a cup on the side of meals.

I would go with buying store brand formula when you run out. We get ours at Target in a huge can and my son only goes through like 4 cans a month and they are $20 each. And he drinks 6oz bottles every 3 hours or so during the day. He's never had any issues switching between brands as long as they were the same kind (he takes a "gentle" formula). None of my kids ever had issues switching between formula or starting milk early..
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:01 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• if you run out of formula wic here will give you a little more if u go in and ask.
    like if it's an emergency. it probably wouldn't be good to ask all the time of course
    Mommy2Teagan

Answer by Mommy2Teagan at 9:37 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• If your daughters stomach is taking well to the milk then yes it is ok I started to ween my daughter off formula at 8 months so that by the time she had turned a yr. she was on milk. So what I did was I started by mixing a couple oz. of reg. 2% milk with formula to see how it would sit in her stomach she was fine she too loved it. Then I would give her 1 full bottle of regular 2% milk a day and the rest would be formula then I started to give her more milk then formula like 4 bottles of milk and 4 bottles of formula so that she can still get the nutrients from the formula but the fat from the milk. By the time she was 1 she was on whole milk only. Of course your pediatrician will not recommend it the same way they say not to start a baby on solids until 4-6 months...bologna I started my munchkin on solids at 2 months and she is perfectly healthy and chunky.
    Kaleena8108

Answer by Kaleena8108 at 10:20 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• I hate to say it but i would stick with formula unless the doctor says move to milk. Can you try for WIC? You can get a lot of formula that way and can help you out.
    parkerbaby1

Answer by parkerbaby1 at 12:15 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Talk to your Ped they will help you we ran into this situation a while back and they gave me quite a few cans that got me through.
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 2:27 AM on Apr. 10, 2011